X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Quick Connect Boxes

the recessed box will prevent a trip hazard, the recessed gastite box i have is more for indoor use. it's nothing more than a plastic icemaker box with a valve already installed.

http://www.gastite.com/products.php?...t&idlink=link3

go to h.d. and buy a $10.00 ice maker box and install your own valve/ disconnect.

or as mark suggested, buy an outdoor aluminum electrical 4square box and make your own.

or spend big money and buy an "acorn" box and have the real commercial look.

honestly, just a low profile 90 and disconnect coming out of the wall will not stand out that bad. just don't make it a trip or snag hazard.

i've yet to see a recessed gas box at any of my customers homes.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I think I saw those Burnaby boxes online somewhere, they ran about $150.

I'm adding an outlet for a gas grill outside as well, and was looking for something like that cover it.

If you google "Napoleon outlet cover", apparently Napoleon Grills makes a stainless steel box (no connectors or anything, just a cover). It looks like it has knockouts on the side for a gas pipe. I ordered one but I just got a note saying it wouldn't ship until August.

I have a brick exterior so I was looking for something surface mount.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the recessed box will prevent a trip hazard, the recessed gastite box i have is more for indoor use. it's nothing more than a plastic icemaker box with a valve already installed.

http://www.gastite.com/products.php?...t&idlink=link3

go to h.d. and buy a $10.00 ice maker box and install your own valve/ disconnect.

or as mark suggested, buy an outdoor aluminum electrical 4square box and make your own.

or spend big money and buy an "acorn" box and have the real commercial look.

honestly, just a low profile 90 and disconnect coming out of the wall will not stand out that bad. just don't make it a trip or snag hazard.

i've yet to see a recessed gas box at any of my customers homes.

rick.
        Yes it's true it will pose a trip hazard. On the other hand embedding an outlet box on the side of the firepit will make it obvious since we cannot place any of the stone veneer around it since we need access so that won't look good also.

The other possibility is to sink the box into the floor as originally suggested. My stone fabrocation skills are reasonable so I can make a matching lid out of the stone that will be used on the patio - that way when it is closed it should not be obvious and will also fix the issue of a trip hazard.

I will think about how to best make such a recessed box and stone lid.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Yes it's true it will pose a trip hazard. On the other hand embedding an outlet box on the side of the firepit will make it obvious since we cannot place any of the stone veneer around it since we need access so that won't look good also.

The other possibility is to sink the box into the floor as originally suggested. My stone fabrocation skills are reasonable so I can make a matching lid out of the stone that will be used on the patio - that way when it is closed it should not be obvious and will also fix the issue of a trip hazard.

I will think about how to best make such a recessed box and stone lid.
          Great plan

On a floor mount we would dig a bit deeper and set some concrete, atleast 2.5". Mount the base tile and insert the surround over the base. It made a stable base for walking without shifting. Then you just have a cut groove in the tiles for the gas line. That is easily mortar sealed.
          Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM. Reason: idea of what we did

Comment

I'm planning to pour a 3" slab as a sub-base for the whole patio (over a 3" gravel bed) for the quartzite so that will be taken care of. I will make sure to anchor the outlet with stakes or something to make sure it does not shift during the pour. Or as you say it may be a good idea to pour some concrete first around it to secure it before the rest of the pour. I installed a new storm drain outlet (there is a thread about it on here) and I used concrete to secure it also in that manner.

Comment

not sure if it's legal for a floor access point. plus how will you ever keep dirt and water from collecting in the pit. those quick disconnects are not too happy when sand/ grit gets into them.

i wouldn't put one in the ground for those reasons. plus unless your appliance is right on top or next to it, the hose sticking out of the ground will pose a serious trip hazard.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hmm..yes good points. I'm not sure the hose is much more of a trip hazard than coming out horizontally. As for water collecting - we can dig drain holes in the box and it can drain through the gravel bed. Dirt and sand in the quick connect - yes that's possible I guess although when I'm done the whole patio will be a hardscape so in general the presence of sand or grit will be at a minimum - but it still can potentially happen. Legal - no idea about that.

Comment

not sure if it's legal for a floor access point. plus how will you ever keep dirt and water from collecting in the pit. those quick disconnects are not too happy when sand/ grit gets into them.

i wouldn't put one in the ground for those reasons. plus unless your appliance is right on top or next to it, the hose sticking out of the ground will pose a serious trip hazard.

rick.
                  Legal? Yes depending on your area. Safe? Natural gas rises, on propane there can be a risk. We are also talking about a small space.

Drainage is spot on. We would dig in an extra gravel space in that location and place 1" pvc tube from the pit to the gravel space. For obvious reasons the pit opening would also be slightly elevated for the deck.

Leave extra room below the valve placement for debris. Then just maintian the location as needed.

If the box is mounted tight enough? One could put a rubber gasketing material around the lid and keep out or minimize water.
                  Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-15-2010, 11:45 PM. Reason: extra thought

Comment

rick.
                    Very good, you were very close to the actual Code (UPC 1212.2 B) which would prevent a gas quick-connect in the floor. It is all about accumulation of water or foreign materials.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

thanks mark

but section "a" is for indoors.

section "b" applies to outdoors.

so you would also need the required gas shut off valve preceding the quick disconnect. which i always do too

like i said before, i've never come across a concealed / recessed quick disconnect. of course they are common for water hose bibbs at schools and commercial locations.

sometimes over thinking the situation is the problem.

i would still mount the valve on a wall or the wall of the fire pit. keeping it at a minimum of 6'' above the ground. if you want to recess it, fine and even add a hinged cover fine. but trying to make a floor mounted box is just asking for trouble in the long run.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Okay well I guess back to the original plan . To be honest I don't really think the quick connect sticking out will pose a trip hazard since the firepit will have wall caps at the top that will stick out and I cannot see how anyone could actually get close enough to trip.

So a quick connects also needs it own shutoff?

Comment

Just checked the gas code - it seems like it needs its own shutoff only if it's indoors. Does not say anything about floor mounting but it does reference an ANSI standard regarding quick connect devices in general.

Comment

since you probably don't have the code book $120.00 i'll type out the section that should apply to you

1212.2 use of non metallic gas hose connections

(b) outdoors outdoor gas hose connections are permitted to connect portable gas-fired equipment, an equipment shutoff valve, a listed quick-disconnect device or a listed gas convenience outlet shall be installed where the connector is attached to the supply piping and in such a manner to prevent the accumulation of water or foreign matter. this connection shall be made only in the outdoor area where the equipment is to be used. the connector length shall not exceed 15' (4572mm).

now the interpretation is up to you

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for typing that out - yes it's somewhat open to interpretation. I saw something in the gas code I believe about a cap for quick connects. If such a cap was available then I assume that could do the work of keeping out "water or foreign matter" regardless of how it is mounted.

Comment

i believe the cap you're referring to is known as a dust cap. but that is for above ground to keep out the airborne dust and moisture. typically it's an internal rubber plug and they come with the connector set.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X