X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Quick Connect Boxes

Sorry I was mistaken - the gas code actually says a quick connect device does not have to be capped since it is designed to shutoff when the hose is removed. I guess I was tired last night while reading through the relevant sections.

Comment

This is a case of code allowing something, but wise practice being in excess of what's technically allowed.

I would install a valve, and I would not install it in the ground if at all avoidable.

In the design phaze, it's easy to say "i'll just keep it clean" or "it'll be ok because of x,y,z"

I don't intend to insult your intelligence, but I would try to design it to be a "idiot resistant" as possible. That way, with some applied intelligence, you shouldn't have any problems.

I say this because it sounds like you're setting up a really cool, expensive yard, and digging ut up is far more expensive than a valve is.

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
        This is a case of code allowing something, but wise practice being in excess of what's technically allowed.

I would install a valve, and I would not install it in the ground if at all avoidable.

In the design phaze, it's easy to say "i'll just keep it clean" or "it'll be ok because of x,y,z"

I don't intend to insult your intelligence, but I would try to design it to be a "idiot resistant" as possible. That way, with some applied intelligence, you shouldn't have any problems.

I say this because it sounds like you're setting up a really cool, expensive yard, and digging ut up is far more expensive than a valve is.

The Code really does not allow it. The Code says it can't be installed where water or debris will accumulate. That kind of rules out a floor box.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

LOL - my intelligence did not get insulted. Actually it's good to hear everyone's thougts - that's the advantage of discussions with other people. Most of my real life work involves R&D/developing new products and I've found dicussing an idea or an algorithmic problem with others very often helps shed new light or maybe a different way of thinking.

Anyway here is the promised pic

Current thinking is to bring out the outlets facing towards the wall at about +/- 30 deg from the center. Rick - what a low profile 90. I guess that would be the best way. How to run the plumbing to two outlets at the same height from a center pipe at roughly 60 deg separation is not obvious to me at the moment.

The center pipe is the gas pipe and the other one is low voltage wiring to light the outside of the firepit. Current plan is to pour the footing, and then a poured concrete wall on which will be a stone veneer (different design to the wall) and then probably I will fabricate a custom single piece wall cap out of some nice natural stone with inner and outer bullnose. I was thinking of using some Costa Esmeralda I have in my garage but it's not big enough. Then fill with fireglass at the top for the burner.

Comment

Originally posted by drh View Post
            I think I saw those Burnaby boxes online somewhere, they ran about $150.
            Burnaby directed me to a Ferguson in Austin, TX that stocked the box I was looking for -- $60. They are shipping me one. None of the local Ferguson's had it (or could see it in their computer). If you are still looking at these boxes I would contact Burnaby to see if they can tell you the closest location that has one. Shipping was another $13.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              since you probably don't have the code book $120.00 i'll type out the section that should apply to you

1212.2 use of non metallic gas hose connections

(b) outdoors outdoor gas hose connections are permitted to connect portable gas-fired equipment, an equipment shutoff valve, a listed quick-disconnect device or a listed gas convenience outlet shall be installed where the connector is attached to the supply piping and in such a manner to prevent the accumulation of water or foreign matter. this connection shall be made only in the outdoor area where the equipment is to be used. the connector length shall not exceed 15' (4572mm).

now the interpretation is up to you

rick.
              Thanks for the code.

The drainage in the bottom of the pit via pvc sleeve to a rock drainage area is acceptable. The depth below the valve placement considers debris. If the surface slopes away from the pit opening then there will be by design less water in the first place. If the pit has a seal around the edges at the top then both water and debris are accounted for and we meet code.

Yes you should always install a manual stop valve with a QD. It is just good sense.

Comment

This is a case of the 7Ps.

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

This is the design and engineering phase. If a box is properly designed, priorly approved, and executed as planned the next 4 Ps won't be needed.

Comment

Working...
                X