X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Quick Connect Boxes

I just learned that such things do exist and thought it would be good addition to my yard for any portable applicances like patio heater etc. But I cannot find too much info on the web. Any suggestions on products worth looking at?

I see that Gastite makes a suitable box with a lid but it is quite pricey. I guess CSST would be an option to run a line for a quick connect box but since it is not allowed below ground without a shield I'm not sure it makes things much easier to using coated iron pipe.

Anyway, any info on such outlets would be useful if anyone here has used/installed them.

Re: Gas Quick Connect Boxes

i was going to say the gastite unit. but why not a recessed ice maker box/ 6''x 6'' plastic with a trim ring.

the gastite unit is ready to fly and should already have a normal 1/2'' pipe thread. the ice maker box will need some work to properly secure the quick connect.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Do you mean real ice maker box - designed for an ice maker. If I use that can I buy a quick connect fitting separately. I presume the Gastite unit alread comes with the fitting inside.

I cannot find much info on gas quick connect fittings on the web. Any suggestions on manufacturers of such items.

Comment

as far as i know all gas quick disconnects are "pricey". what can i say? breid...........

Comment

Build one...make it blend and match the surrounding if desired.

Do you want prefab on that backyard?

Comment

LOL - well yes I guess I could make it out of matching quartzite of which the floor will be made. The firepit was a late addition to the design - had I thought of it earlier I would have located the gas outlets on the backside of the wall competely out of sight. I have installed an electrical outlet on the backside of the wall - but I thought about it in advance and so the conduit was laid before I poured the footing. Too late to do that for the gas line.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
              LOL - well yes I guess I could make it out of matching quartzite of which the floor will be made. The firepit was a late addition to the design - had I thought of it earlier I would have located the gas outlets on the backside of the wall competely out of sight. I have installed an electrical outlet on the backside of the wall - but I thought about it in advance and so the conduit was laid before I poured the footing. Too late to do that for the gas line.
              First of all gas stop valves must be in the same room and within 6'. So the back side of the wall access may have been an issue.

Can you post a pic of what you have now?
              Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-13-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

any place that sells bbq's will have a quick disconnect and approved flexible gas hose. most are 3/8'' fip threads, but they also come in 1/2''.

even h.d. carries them with the hose and matching disconnect plug.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I believe the maximum length of the flexible gas hose is 15'.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

blue can, try www.bbymfg.com (burnaby) there not reccessed but stainless with hinged covers i used them on outlets for heat lamps for snowbirds that use them 3 months then disconnect so they dont have to look at them during hot months.

Comment

I believe the maximum length of connection hose depends on the BTU's of the appliance and diameter of the service line for proper operation.

You can have hoses made with larger tube size if needed. Often the local hydraulic supply house is a good source. In most cases 3/8" H.D. products are good for no more than 6' on a good grill. 3' may be the maximum length on a high output unit.

When looking at portable appliances, it is also imortant to note the supply pressure requirements. Many times people will purchase a high pressure unit and hook it to low pressure. After all that work...nothing works.

Undersizing the appliance connector will also cause deration of a unit. The difference in this case is that the operator has never seen the unit operate differently. It is assumed to be running at full potential, after all the unit is new. This must be how it should run. After all the work of running the gas pipe right, the wrong connector diameter and length are still a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                        First of all gas stop valves must be in the same room and within 6'. So the back side of the wall access may have been an issue.

Can you post a pic of what you have now?
                        I will post something tomorrow. The wall I'm atlking about is a 2' tall garden wall outside - there are no rooms involved so I assume that will not be an issue. See the other thread post no 28 for pic of the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
                          blue can, try www.bbymfg.com (burnaby) there not reccessed but stainless with hinged covers i used them on outlets for heat lamps for snowbirds that use them 3 months then disconnect so they dont have to look at them during hot months.
                          Good site thanks - although I cannot figure out where to actually buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                            Good site thanks - although I cannot figure out where to actually buy them.
                            Blue Star Gas
                            880 N. Wright Rd
                            Santa Rosa, CA 95407
                            Tel: 707.546.1400
                            Fax: 707.573.3132

Carrhill Company
                            7271 E. Slauson Ave
                            City of Commerce, CA 90040-3621
                            Tel: 323.724.6087
                            Fax: 323.724.6553
                            Email: curtis@carrhill.com
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark - I guess I was not clear in my post - it's not obvious how to order from both those suppliers listed. The top one looks like some kind of gas service provider and does not have online shopping on their website. No website is listed for the second. I guess these days unless they have online ordering I cannot be bothered.

In any event Rick is correct - HD does sell a kit with a quick connect and 10' hose for around $40 which compared to what I've seen so far is not too bad. I bought one to try out.

I did not get a chance to post a pic yesterday but I think Kevin has a good point - getting it more comcealed would be a better idea. Currently what I'm thinking is to maybe have the quick connect directly coming out of the wall of the firepit in a couple of places. I can have some steel pipe passing thorugh the wall (coated and wrapped to prevent the lime corroding the pipe ) and then thread the fitting on the end. It will end up sticking out of the firepit wall somewhere around the base but possibly that's the easiest option for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X