• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pipe wrap primer

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    http://www.farwestcorrosion.com/down...plied_tape.pdf

See section 4 on primer application

I was being sarcastic with the galvy spray paint thing.

As for the spray coat? It went on thick. If you check out their products. I am sure you will be satisfied. They know what they are doing. There is no question the package they sold met some of the toughest codes in the country and having a spray can.

The package I am refering to is also for small patch and repair type applications or short sections of not more than 10'. Rolling primer does make much more sense for longer runs and large surfaces like propane tanks. No matter how you primer the pipe this is the only tape I would use for underground. This is based on my experiences with pvc tape and no protection at all on underground steel pipes. Of the three...there is only one that has never been on my schedule for repair, with primer or without; and that is this tape. I am talking systems over 35 years in the ground and no rust.

This is not your pvc tape junk either. This is a tar based sealent that needs little primer. It takes O2 to make rust. PVC tape lets in O2 by poor wrapping. Tar back tapes allow for much error. Once sealed by grasping the joint...no more O2...NO RUST in my lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post

I was being sarcastic with the galvy spray paint thing.

As for the spray coat? It went on thick. If you check out their products. I am sure you will be satisfied. They know what they are doing. There is no question the package they sold met some of the toughest codes in the country and having a spray can.

The package I am refering to is also for small patch and repair type applications or short sections of not more than 10'. Rolling primer does make much more sense for longer runs and large surfaces like propane tanks. No matter how you primer the pipe this is the only tape I would use for underground. This is based on my experiences with pvc tape and no protection at all on underground steel pipes. Of the three...there is only one that has never been on my schedule for repair, with primer or without; and that is this tape. I am talking systems over 35 years in the ground and no rust.

This is not your pvc tape junk either. This is a tar based sealent that needs little primer. It takes O2 to make rust. PVC tape lets in O2 by poor wrapping. Tar back tapes allow for much error. Once sealed by grasping the joint...no more O2...NO RUST in my lifetime

Ya lost me, and maybe confused a couple others too.

If you check out their products. I am sure you will be satisfied.
      You refer to "they" a couple times in your response, but who is they? Are you referring to Polyken products since you quoted my post? You never mention a name.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Ya lost me, and maybe confused a couple others too.

You refer to "they" a couple times in your response, but who is they? Are you referring to Polyken products since you quoted my post? You never mention a name.
        Sorry...yes I am referring to Polyken and more specifically to Royston Greenline for this application.

Comment

Working...
        X