X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe wrap primer

My understanding is that before pipe wrap tape is applied, a primer should be used.

But I've talked to two local supply houses and they have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask for the primer.

They sell 10 mil. PVC pipe wrap tape but no primer.

Thinking maybe that I was that had it wrong, I looked at a couple of tape manufacturer's information. They both say use primer. What's the deal?

Re: Pipe wrap primer

Yes it exists as I've just finished installing a gas line. Over here Home Depot has it as well as one of the plumbing supply houses I've bought stuff at. The one I have is called Christys Pipe Wrap Primer - a large container with yellow markings. That said a couple of the people who work at hd could not locate it for me so I bought it at the supply house and then spotted it on another visit to hd while buying PVC solvent - they keep it in the same area. Judging by the behaviour of the hd staff I guess not many people are buying/using it but I believe you are supposed to.

Maybe many people just wrap the pipe without primer.

Comment

Yes, I've seen Christy's and other brands of primer available online.

Home Depot here doesn't have it, but they don't have a lot of things that supply houses carry so that's no surprise.

Funny, I change my location to San Diego on homedepot.com and it pulls up.

The supply houses I talked to seemed totally confused when I asked about it. It wasn't "oh we don't stock that", they didn't even know what I was talking about.

Comment

The primer is necessary, and it is YELLOW in color for this reason: the inspector will bust your chops if he doesn't see the yellow. Just like the look for the purple primer in PVC glue up.

Every HD and Lowes I have seen carries the primer, usually a quart can located right near where they have their green pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          The primer is necessary, and it is YELLOW in color for this reason: the inspector will bust your chops if he doesn't see the yellow. Just like the look for the purple primer in PVC glue up.

Every HD and Lowes I have seen carries the primer, usually a quart can located right near where they have their green pipe.
          Yes, this is my fear. I don't want to fail an inspection because of a $12 can of primer. Now I'm wondering if this is a CA only or regional thing (although I don't see why it would be if the manufacturer says you need to apply primer for their tape, you need to apply it).

Maybe there is someone from my part of the country (TX) that can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by drh View Post
            My understanding is that before pipe wrap tape is applied, a primer should be used.

But I've talked to two local supply houses and they have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask for the primer.

They sell 10 mil. PVC pipe wrap tape but no primer.

Thinking maybe that I was that had it wrong, I looked at a couple of tape manufacturer's information. They both say use primer. What's the deal?
            It's for corrosion of buried steel pipe. What pipe are you burying ?

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
              It's for corrosion of buried steel pipe. What pipe are you burying ?
              This is for a wall penetration. I don't need the tape for anything that is going to be buried.

Comment

The primer and tape is a two part method for burial. Doesn't sound like you need that. What type of pipe ? What type of wall ?

Comment

For a wall penetration all that is needed would be a sleeve.

Grey primer will be fine for exterior above ground pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                    The primer and tape is a two part method for burial. Doesn't sound like you need that. What type of pipe ? What type of wall ?
                    Black steel coming through a brick wall.

I think if none of the supply houses around here sell it then inspectors probably aren't looking for it. Now I'm more just curious as to why it's nowhere to be found and no one around here (locally) has heard of it. Online its pretty easy to find, as well as information about it.

Comment

I don't know what code Dallas uses. That would be the first place to check. I can say that what your trying to do is protect the pipe against damage from abrasion.
                      As to why it's not in the supply houses, wrong supply houses maybe. Try something with the oil patch, National Oil Well, Wilson Supply.
                      Last edited by stokefire7; 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drh View Post
                        This is for a wall penetration. I don't need the tape for anything that is going to be buried.
                        Here we sleeve and silicone. Light duty PVC sleeve. Nothing special.

Now, what is the effect of silicone on black steel?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Here we sleeve and silicone. Light duty PVC sleeve. Nothing special.

Now, what is the effect of silicone on black steel?

J.C.
                          ? Good question. Have you ever heard of a failure or seen damage caused by silicone? I haven't.

That was funny I don't care who you are...

Comment

I'm suprised Kevin has not recommended galvanized

Comment

http://www.farwestcorrosion.com/down...plied_tape.pdf

See section 4 on primer application
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X