Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Shower Drain

Hi All,

I am going to build a shower pan and need to replace the original shower drain. The original shower drain is connected to galvanized 1 1/2" pipe and the shower drains that I have seen are designed for 2" or 3" pipe. Three questions.

1: Is it OK to use ABS pipe and replace the short section of galvanized pipe and the P trap. Someone at the plumbing store told me that anything below ground needs to be glued with no screw on joints. I have a glue together P trap and short section of straight pipe that I have purchased.

2: When connecting the section of ABS pipe to the existing galvanized nipple, can I use a threaded adapter or do I need to use a Fernco coupling?

3: If the original nipple and drain are 1 1/2", is it OK for me to use a 2" P trap and connecting section of ABS pipe and reduce it to connect to the original 1 1/2" nipple or is that not code?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Replacing a Shower Drain

This would be better answered by the California guys for code reasons. But I can tell you now, that i don't know a code that will allow fernco's (all rubber with 2 small clamps) under ground..think Mission coupling instead if you go that route.(has to be steel banded all the way around the rubber)
    Last edited by Flux; 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by auag View Post
      Hi All,

I am going to build a shower pan and need to replace the original shower drain. The original shower drain is connected to galvanized 1 1/2" pipe and the shower drains that I have seen are designed for 2" or 3" pipe. Three questions.

1: Is it OK to use ABS pipe and replace the short section of galvanized pipe and the P trap. Someone at the plumbing store told me that anything below ground needs to be glued with no screw on joints. I have a glue together P trap and short section of straight pipe that I have purchased.

2: When connecting the section of ABS pipe to the existing galvanized nipple, can I use a threaded adapter or do I need to use a Fernco coupling?

3: If the original nipple and drain are 1 1/2", is it OK for me to use a 2" P trap and connecting section of ABS pipe and reduce it to connect to the original 1 1/2" nipple or is that not code?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
      are you on a slab? you mentioned below the ground.

gal steel pipe is not allowed within 6'' of the ground/ dirt.

the no hub bands need to be shielded. the ones with the stainless clamps and shield/ wrap around them.

2'' is the required size drain for a stand alone shower. 1.5'' if it's a tub/ shower.

as far as the reduction from a 2'' shower drain and trap down to a 1.5'' existing line. not legal, but not out of the ordinary with a shower redo.

had a laundry today with a 2'' trap and standpipe connected to the existing 1.5'' waste in the wall. a little tricky to snake, but i still managed to get a 4 blade cutter and 5/8'' sectional cable through the line 30' to clean it out

where in l.a. are you? which supply house?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey There Rick and Flux,

Thanks for the replies.

My house is not on a slab but is actually on a raised foundation. My house is in Mar Vista and I went to Bourget Brothers in Santa Monica to get some plumbing fittings. I stopped by Barry Plumbing Supply but they were closed when I went.

If 2" is standard now does that mean that when renovations are performed now, it is necessary to change out all of the waste lines to 2" from 1.5"? Sounds like a big job but I'm thinking it's better to be in compliance now that the walls are open than to dismiss it and have a problem down the line when it comes time to sell.

Thanks Much

Comment

mar vista howdy neighbor

barry pipe closed for a reason

that's another story

bourget brothers is an awesome store. probably the best privately owned building supply/ hardware store i've ever been too. spent a lot of money there over the years

are you 100% sure the horizontal waste under the shower is 1.5'' and not 2'' most of the time the vertical is 1.5 and the horizontal is 2''.

as long as you have access to the underside, then you can always get to it later. but make sure you do the 2'' drain and trap for now.

if it's not too involved, which it probably isn't then do the entire thing in 2''. much easier than crawling from the outside.

let me know if you need a hand i'm 5-10 minutes away from palms/ mar vista.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hey There Rick,

It would be great if you would have a look at what I am dealing with in my shower redo. How can I get in touch with you?

Comment

Working...
            X