Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough-in Tub/Shower Drain Second Floor

Hi everyone,
    I'm replacing defective DWV and I'm about to rough-in a p-trap for a 2nd floor tub/shower. I would like to know if there are any restrictions in the code for the p-trap and overflow drain in this situation. The original p-trap used a 1 1/2" return bend with a 1/4 street bend which had a riser to a female threaded adapter. This attaches to the overflow using a compression nut. The p-trap connects to a 2" double fixture fitting. See photo.

I'm replacing the p-trap with the same type return bend and 1/4 street bend. I was told that a second floor tub/shower drain cannot use compression fittings and must be glued entirely to the overflow. Is this correct? It doesn't seem quite right. If you need to replace the overflow, you would need to cut it from the p-trap. I'm attaching some photos of the old overflow and the new one that I will be using.

I will need to test the DWV system for the inspection. If the threaded adapter can be used, is there a test cap that threads onto the adapter?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Attached Files

Re: Rough-in Tub/Shower Drain Second Floor

Slipnuts can not be concealed they require acess as per code but on a tub waste and overflow i think you can have have up to two sj's concealed .

It looks to me like your using a solvent weld w&o so i would just solvent it all.. But if your want better serviceability you can use a stainless sheilded mission mechanical coupling on the inlet of the trap..

Comment

Plumbworker,
      Thanks for the idea of the mission coupling. I'm familiar with them, but I didn't think of using that type of coupling here until you mentioned it. That might be the thing that I do. I like the idea of being able to remove the waste overflow system without cutting the pipe should the need arise.

Just curious as to what others do now. The original plumbing setup was done in 1985. I don't know what code required then but it may be different today.

Rick

Comment

im curious what part of richmond are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
          im curious what part of richmond are you in?
          If he told you he'd have to kill ya.

Comment

mission band is the way to go. i think it's a t-115 you're looking for if it was using the tubular 1.5'' brass like you took out.

the reason why the slip joint is not allowed is because it's considered a joint that will wear out and need service. but if you cut in an access panel, then it's legal. so if you don't mind a 12'' x 12'' access panel, you're good.

personally, we haven't used access panels for tubs since 1981. unless it's a spa that requires a motor access.

mission band or a true solvent weld connection is the way to go or in your case with a solvent weld 1.5'' abs fittings, you could use a 1.5'' no hub band to make the final connection and maintain a way to take it apart down the road.

for me, no access panel and all glued

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X