X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Chicago area plumbers

I live on the NW side of Chicago, near Elmwood Park and River Grove. This area is prone to sewer backup in basements during heavy rain. What is the BEST way to treat this problem? I know of the "flood control" (check valve, usually w/a pump) and "overhead sewers".(raising the sewer line)

Thanks!

Re: Question for Chicago area plumbers

Originally posted by Vern View Post
    I live on the NW side of Chicago, near Elmwood Park and River Grove. This area is prone to sewer backup in basements during heavy rain. What is the BEST way to treat this problem? I know of the "flood control" (check valve, usually w/a pump) and "overhead sewers".(raising the sewer line)

Thanks!
    You said the best two ways to solve the problem. There is a couple more options.
    1. Open basement floor where sewer exits the home. Install a whole house ejector pit. Run the building drain into the pit and have the pump pump the sewerage to the building sewer side.
    2. Remove all the drains in the basement. This means busting up the floor and discounting the all the drains in the basement. If you need a floor drain you can run it to an ejector which leads to the next option.
    3. Open up the floor and redirect all the basement drains to an ejector pit , the pump then will pump the sewerage from the basement into the stack.
    Tramco Pump makes a great pump/lift station for option #1 http://www.tramcopump.com/Residentia....cfm?ProdID=26
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

You guys have to use check valves on your sewers out there in Chi Town? I don't think I've ever seen that done before.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        You guys have to use check valves on your sewers out there in Chi Town? I don't think I've ever seen that done before.
        Here in Nunya we have to use a BackWater Valve if the floor level of the house/business is below the manhole at street level. Not a bad idea.

J.C.

Comment

It does sound like a good idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            The pictures is the preferred flood control system that is installed outside. My father been putting these types of systems in for years with no issues as long as they are maintained yearly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just when you think you have seen it all in this trade...someone always comes along to show you something else. You just never stop learning in this trade and it's pretty neat to see what others are doing. If we ever come across a situation like this..I'll definitely be leaning on you guys for some information.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                You said the best two ways to solve the problem. There is a couple more options.
                1. Open basement floor where sewer exits the home. Install a whole house ejector pit. Run the building drain into the pit and have the pump pump the sewerage to the building sewer side.
                2. Remove all the drains in the basement. This means busting up the floor and discounting the all the drains in the basement. If you need a floor drain you can run it to an ejector which leads to the next option.
                3. Open up the floor and redirect all the basement drains to an ejector pit , the pump then will pump the sewerage from the basement into the stack.
                Tramco Pump makes a great pump/lift station for option #1 http://www.tramcopump.com/Residentia....cfm?ProdID=26
                What happens if the power goes out during the storm and doesn't come back on for a day or two??

Why not use a backwater valve (check valve)? Or the really expensive combination check/gate valve that Smith sells??

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                  What happens if the power goes out during the storm and doesn't come back on for a day or two??

Why not use a backwater valve (check valve)? Or the really expensive combination check/gate valve that Smith sells??
                  The tramco lift station will allow for gravty flow if the power is out. Tramco also makes a battery back up motor to run their sump and ejector pumps. Problem with just a backwater valve even the smith gate/check valve is when the city sewer backs up it holds the check valve shut. So now you have this closed valve where does the sewerage the home use go?

Comment

Working...
                  X