X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Gas Valve Question

What can you do if the manual gas valve you want to install is shorter than the wall you are trying to install it in. Can you disassemble the valve and add an extension nipple or something.

I did see an article online somewhere on how to deal with this but I just cannot seem to find it at the moment.

Re: Manual Gas Valve Question

Certain ball valves (WOG Approved) can have handle extensions added.

Log lighter kits have different shank lengths

Other than that, I'm done guessing what you are referring too, other than buying and using a longer gas pipe nipple.

Comment

Yes, sorry I was not too clear in my post - I was specifically referring to the log lighter type valves (with a key). So far I've only seen ones about 3" or so in length. I need it to be about 7" - 8" in length. I was not aware they were sold in longer lengths than the ones I've seen but I have not been able to locate any longer ones online.

Comment

The valves that i have dealt with have a 1" nip thread on the trim , you can extend it with a longer nipple
        They do sell long keys
        Last edited by DELCASE; 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Key valves come upto 12".

http://www.gascoals.net/Products/Gas...8/Default.aspx

Here is a site you may check. Is that what you were looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            The valves that i have dealt with have a 1" nip thread on the trim , you can extend it with a longer nipple
            They do sell long keys
            Yes, I'm realizing how they work. I was in a store today for something else and saw one being sold in the disassembled form. They also had long keys - again I've seen those before. But here's the thing - I have not seen any extension nipples being sold. Are the nipples a universal fit or are they manufacturer specific.

Comment

the nipple is a 3/4'' straight running thread. a common nipple and coupling or straight threaded coupling/ thread protector will work fine. the keys can be purchased in common lengths or fairly easily extended. not an uncommon issue with a mantel installed after the fact.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

What's a straight running thread. Do you mean a 3/4" NPT thread? Can I use iron pipe nipples and couplings to extend the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  What's a straight running thread. Do you mean a 3/4" NPT thread? Can I use iron pipe nipples and couplings to extend the valve.
                  the straight thread is not a tapered thread. basically the same as a nut and bolt.

a nipple and coupling will work, but a straight thread coupling will give you more adjustment. find the coupling that comes with a length of pipe. those are straight threads/ thread protectors.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick although I'm still not clear what plumbing parts comes with a straight thread. What are pipe protectors? As you may have gussed this is for the firepit project -the concrete wall will be 6" thick so the valve has to be longer than this. I was assuming that the people who make the valves also would be making an extension nipple - so far I cannot see anything apart from the long keys.

I looked at possibly installing a burner with an ignitor, flame sensor and all the stuf we see in a furnace or tankless but I almost fell over when I loked at what they are charging for those. It works out to about 25% of the whole yard remodel cost. So it's going to be a manual valve and lighting with a lighter

Comment

one of my suppliers sells them as "steel couplings" as opposed to the malleable steel couplings we typically use, they also come on 21' sticks of black iron to protect the threads.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

So I resolved this as suggested by Rick. I first bought the valve to see what how it came apart. I also bought an 8" key. I investigated if the manufacturer (Blue Flame) made anything to extend the lenght of the valve but apparently not. I spoke with the people at the place I bought the valve at as well as a couple of other places selling fireplace stuff and they had never heard of it. They told me as far as they know contractors who installed this and needed a longer valve simply used something like a PVC sleeve and glued the faceplate directly to the surface which sounded like a dumb way of doing things.

Anyway the faceplate directly fits a 1/2" pipe nipple. The valve would not fit a tapered thread coupling as it has a nut which interferes with the thread due to the taper. I could not easily locate a straight thread coupling but I called Ferguson and they very kindly told me to come and take a thread protector from their pipe yard. Sure enough there were plenty lying around and you can even get them in coated, galv or just black pipe. That solution actally now works and I selected the nipple length to work for the 8" key. I still have PVC pipe sleeve which will go over this assembly and form a conduit in the firepit wall when I pour the concrete wall. A much cleaner solution overall.

Comment

Working...
                        X