Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Who knows about these Ridge soil pipe cutters?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who knows about these Ridge soil pipe cutters?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    All of the "Real Rehabbers" usually listen to what the "Real Plumbers" recommend to them the first time.

J.C.
    I would'nt have said it so pleasantly.

Rick,there is still a little left on your nose.I'm going to have to have a talk with Joey to do more frequent spot inspections before letting you out in public.
    Good thing is soon she'll have help from Pheobe

Comment

Just for information cast has two letters on it sv which is the thinner and xh which is the heavier, an old install probably was xh (they used to require that back in the old days) without a lot of room I wouldn't try to cut 6in. with a cast iron cutter, you are better using a cut off wheel, luck.

Comment

Until I read more of the thread I was wondering what a "Ridge" soil pipe cutter was.

Comment

I have discussed your application with my engineering colleagues here at Ridge Tool and you will find our response similar to many of the suggestions posted. For your application there are many variables to contend with first of all the house is built in 1885, it is hard to say if the drain system is from 1885 or not. Our experience with old cast soil pipe is that old pipe is usually thicker than the various styles available today. In addition, the amount of corrosion in the pipe may cause it to crush or cut unevenly. We are concerned about the “Y”, There tends to be a lot of variation in the wall thickness within the “Y” fitting so the cut with a soil pipe cutter may be very uneven and possible cause further complications.

With all the variables to contend within this application, the soil pipe cutters may not provide acceptable results. You may be better off using an abrasive type saw or grinder, such as the RIDGID® R1005 4.5” Angle Grinder w/ Slim Grip with a cutting blade or the R3002 Compact Reciprocating Saw with a cast iron cutting blade, which would provide a greater chance of the resulting cut being even, in the intended location and minimize the risk of crushing the fitting.

If you feel your only option is a soil pipe cutter, our model 206 or 246 would be your best option. To get the best quality cut, you install the cutter around the pipe, tighten up the cutter to score the pipe, loosen the cutter, and move the cutters over slightly and repeat that process several times. Then you break that pipe, and in most cases, the break follows the score marks. The larger and the thicker the pipe, the more variation in wall thickness and the condition of the pipe all affect the quality of the cut.

Thanks for your post,

Ridge Tool Marketing
          Last edited by Fesko; 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X