Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Who knows about these Ridge soil pipe cutters?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows about these Ridge soil pipe cutters?

Sure, I've read the Soil Pipe Cutter Tool Capacity/Selection chart, but, not being a professional plumber, I'm not certain about what it's telling me.
    Here's the story, I've got an 1885 house with the big old cast iron drain pipes in the basement(cellar), that I'm looking forward to removing. It's 6" dia. tops. The chart states that they can all cut no hub cast iron soil pipe. However, the fittings I've got all have one larger end, for the next piece to fit into. So, am I correct to assume that I have hubbed stuff here? Could it be possible that it still might be "service weight cast iron soil pipe"? I haven't a clue what that refers to. The next problem- there's not actually any straight pipe exposed to cut. It's a wye right out of the ground- in a raised crawl space area, with two more wyes on top of that. And that's all the room there is. So, what the problem is, is I must actually cut the wye, where it's straight enough to attach the new pipes to. The model 206 states that it's basically made to cut "lighter wall pipe". Am I correct to assume that back when this stuff was made, they hadn't even considered "light wall" pipes yet?

Basically, the most important question that I need answered, would be- can the 206 cut an old wye, or must I go for the 246, assuming that that one could handle it?
    Thanks!

Re: Who knows about these Ridge soil pipe cutters?

Use a cast iron blade in a reciprocating saw.

J.C.

Comment

or an angle grinder with a cutting blade.....

Comment

Or a sledge hammer
        sigpic

Comment

"I've got an 1885 house with the big old cast iron drain pipes in the basement (cellar), that I'm looking forward to removing"

Why are you removing it? Is it crackedÉ Does it leak? If it leaks remove it below the concrete and start fresh.

Comment

A buck says hes gone as fast a candy bar at a fat camp.....

Comment

I guess you loose your buck!

I'm still here, still waiting to hear from a real plumber that has actual experience with these breakers. I've got to admit, it's pretty funny that ridge would sponsor a site that would allow "professionals" to recommend to people to not use their tools. A sledge hammer?? Sorry, but I quit drugs many many years ago! O.K., in the right situation(hmm), it might be a valid comment. You certainly aren't aware of the 'big picture' here, NHM, so if you really were serious, sorry for laughing, and thank you anyway.
              Maybe you all HAVE tried it, and you never will again, due to disaterous results. THAT'S the info I'm kindly requesting here.
              I already own the 206, and was simply asking if someone SERIOUSLY knows if it could handle this job, or if I'm biting off too large a chunk with the 206. It's a shame i cant get the info from ridge themselves. Perhaps they do have a support # that I haven't found yet.

Anyway, i will say, Spinner, that i still do appreciate hearing your suggestion on the cutoff wheel technique. after further reasearch, reading, it does appear to be the best way to go about it to avoid any potential problems.
              Thanks

Comment

bill, the issue is 2 fold.

#1 the pipe/ fittings being extremely old.

#2 the fact that you're attempting to cut a fitting.

the best method is to use a 4.5'' grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. this will work great if you can get completely around the fitting. if not then cut as much as you can and finish it with the sawzall and a 14tpi or 10tpi blade.

even with snap cutters, plumbers will never attempt to snap that old of pipe, especially when you only have 1 chance of getting it right before you really will have to break out the sledge to bust the concrete and replace it

the ridgid snap cutters will cut both no hub and hubbed pipe. their cutting chain is way overkill.

if you post a photo, i'm sure we can advise you even better if we see what the condition looks like.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by GeeTOBill View Post

I'm still here, still waiting to hear from a real plumber that has actual experience with these breakers.

Thanks
                  3 REAL Plumbers gave you their professional opinion which most of us have used in the field before. Just because Ridgid might make a tool for a specific job, doesn't mean we will use that method. I would NEVER go into someone's house and use a snap cutter on a old cast iron line..you're asking for trouble.

Chain cutter is fine, but I would rather use a reciprocating saw.

Comment

Thanks Rick, I don't believe I could've asked for a more complete/better answer! You've let me know that I would be an idiot to try it, and why, and also let me know that it should work on a straight pipe section on a future job- IF I feel lucky, or have room to "play".

Flux, you too are correct. They DID give me their opinions. Unfortunately, they did not try to answer a question. You have put some effort into it tho, I believe. A sawzall- with the right blade, does sound to me like the best, quietest, safest way, which I might try someday to compare the two, but for now, from what I've read, I'm going to guess that the cutoff wheels will be faster, and go with that. If it were someone elses house, or a tennant had alot of personal items lying around, then, yes, I would certainly try the sawzall.
                    Thanks

Comment

There is no way I would attempt to use anything but an angle grinder or sawzall w/ a CI blade on CI that's that old. Is there a reason you are replacing it? IMHO dealing with cast iron that is that old I would recommend hiring a professional, at least to cut it for you. Good luck!
                      Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

but for now, from what I've read, I'm going to guess that the cutoff wheels will be faster, and go with that.
                        Thanks
                        Grinder with a cutoff wheel is another excellent choice.

Comment

I'm still here, still waiting to hear from a real plumber that has actual experience with these breakers. I've got to admit, it's pretty funny that ridge would sponsor a site that would allow "professionals" to recommend to people to not use their tools. A sledge hammer?? Sorry, but I quit drugs many many years ago! O.K., in the right situation(hmm), it might be a valid comment. You certainly aren't aware of the 'big picture' here, NHM, so if you really were serious, sorry for laughing, and thank you anyway.
                          Maybe you all HAVE tried it, and you never will again, due to disaterous results. THAT'S the info I'm kindly requesting here.
                          I already own the 206, and was simply asking if someone SERIOUSLY knows if it could handle this job, or if I'm biting off too large a chunk with the 206. It's a shame i cant get the info from ridge themselves. Perhaps they do have a support # that I haven't found yet.

Anyway, i will say, Spinner, that i still do appreciate hearing your suggestion on the cutoff wheel technique. after further reasearch, reading, it does appear to be the best way to go about it to avoid any potential problems.
                          Thanks
                          All of the "Real Rehabbers" usually listen to what the "Real Plumbers" recommend to them the first time.

J.C.

Comment

Another option! Not everyone owns one of these,but it works great If You have the room. I have a 14" gas concrete saw. Either a metal cut off blade. or diamond blade will cut through C.I. LIKE CHEEZE.My diamond blades are expensive, so I use the carb. blades for metal. Works great in trenches for Metal and terra cotta. Don't forget to strap the stack above! It could move and create ,either a leak in the wall,or worse! Good luck. Tool
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

works great as my 14'' saw cuts 5'' deep. i doubt i would use the gas one inside as it's noisy and smelly. the electric one is a beast too, but trips breakers too easy.

for the one cut, i would still stick with the cut off wheel and sawzall.

installed around 50 cleanouts in a sub-terannian garage with the 14'' saw and worked great on the older cast. the pipe cut clean and the kerf allowed the piece to fall out.

getting closer kevin, to piper

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X