X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laundry Room Remodel Plumbing Question

Ok, just to make things clear, I labeled everything. It's kind of hard to see in the picture but this way there is no confusion. I want to make sure I do this the right way, so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Will this be inspected?

Want me to go to war on this?

J.C.

Comment

Why does the stack look like it's outside the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Will this be inspected?

Want me to go to war on this?

J.C.
          Nope, it won't be inspected.

Go for it. I can handle "constructive criticism".

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Why does the stack look like it's outside the wall?
            It's somewhat of an illusion. On the side I took the picture from, the stack is inside of the wall. Although, the cast iron hub does extend out past the wall by only about 1/2" on the back side. I do plan of firring out the wall on that side although to prevent any problems when installing the drywall.

Comment

Originally posted by jtotherod View Post
              Nope, it won't be inspected.

Go for it. I can handle "constructive criticism".
              It's not within the code here. IPC. So it would not pass inspection.

But....it might work. So I'll keep quiet.

J.C.

Comment

good time to install a GFCI OUTLET ALSO! If romex has no ground,
                use the cold water copper as one.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  It's not within the code here. IPC. So it would not pass inspection.

But....it might work. So I'll keep quiet.

J.C.
                  Ok, So what part would not pass inspection? I would like to do it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    good time to install a GFCI OUTLET ALSO! If romex has no ground,
                    use the cold water copper as one.
                    Good point. I will do that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                      Box needs to be 35" above the finished floor.

2" Drop Pipe

24" Minimum Drop

2" P-Trap

You CANNOT drill for 2" pipe horizontally through that stud. It DOES NOT matter if it is load bearing or not. And it DOES NOT matter if it is doubled.

You'll need hammer arrestors in the box or after installation.

The Fernco cannot be installed. Approved "steel bands" only.

I can't quite tell if that's a 3"x2" Charlotte Seal (Push Gasket) or not. If it is 2" they would make me cut the floor out here. Yes, they would. Plumbers from out of town have left jobs unfinished out of frustration before. Horizontal lines off of a W/M shall be 3".

And I always put a minimum 2" vent through the roof for a W/M. Anyone got the DFU maximum for 1.5" in relation to W/M's?

Brace the vent.

5"x8" Stud Guards. (Just mentioning everything)

Doesn't make me right. Out West they use the UPC code and might tell you something totally different.

J.C.

Thanks you for that information. For starters, I'm just working on the drainage issue at the moment. I'm already planning on replacing the box and I have it marked at 42" above the finished floor, so there should be no problem with the 24" drop. I also already have a 2" P-trap but have yet to install it.

As for some of the issues, I'm just going to do what I need to make it work without problems. I don't think our regulations are as tough as where you are from. If anything else, I feel I "upgraded" more than it's original state.

The one question I have though is where you stated you cannot drill for 2" pipe horizontally through a stud. So what are you supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by jtotherod View Post
                        Thanks you for that information. For starters, I'm just working on the drainage issue at the moment. I'm already planning on replacing the box and I have it marked at 42" above the finished floor, so there should be no problem with the 24" drop. I also already have a 2" P-trap but have yet to install it.

As for some of the issues, I'm just going to do what I need to make it work without problems. I don't think our regulations are as tough as where you are from. If anything else, I feel I "upgraded" more than it's original state.

The one question I have though is where you stated you cannot drill for 2" pipe horizontally through a stud. So what are you supposed to do?
                        Its best to call your local building department and find out what their requirements are when it comes to building and plumbing codes. You did say you want to do this job right in a previous post, and it is in your best interest to do things right. I have been hired by home owners to correct code violations when they tried to sell their home, or when the city came in and noticed work was done with out a permit(in their eyes no permit = someone trying to hide something).
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Here in Pennsylvania, we would never get turned down for drilling a 2 9/16" hole through a stud. It would be damn near impossible to hook the 2" trap up without creating an "s" trap between 2 studs 16" center.

Water hammer arrestors are not required here, but then again I don't know what the code says exactly on that. I worked in some of the most heavily coded area's around here, and never had an issue for arrestors.

If the inspector broke my balls on the gasket, I would take out the 2" PVC pipe and caulk in a 2" ferrule, and pour a joint. He has to allow a poured joint.

Comment

First off, I want to thank everybody for their help. Today I talked with a plumber that our company uses as a subcontractor. I showed him the pictures of what I have done so far and explained what I plan on doing to finish.

He stated to me that nothing I have done or will be doing would not pass inspection. Rubber donuts are acceptable, 1.5" vent is acceptable since it is only a single fixture hooked up, hammer arresters are not required, and no issue with drilling horizontally through studs. The only suggestion he made to me was to use a mission fitting instead of a fernco fitting.

Comment

Be fun to work there! Hope all goes well.

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X