Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Room Remodel Plumbing Question

Hello,
    I recently bought my first home that is in need of a lot of upgrades and repairs. I have been working in the construction industry for a few years now but plumbing is not my specialty. I'm not exactly sure what I should do with my problem but this seems like the best place to find the answers on doing it the right way.

Anyways, Here is my problem. I had a leak coming from the existing washing machine box(actually the gate valves were the part leaking). So I have decided to replace the unit. The new unit I have bought has 2 quarter turn ball valves and a 2" drain connection. The problem I've having is I'm not sure what to do about the existing drain. It is 1 1/2" Copper that enters into a Cast Iron Tee. The vent pipe is either ABS or PVC.

I need to find out the best option to dealing with the copper pipe. Should I use a fernco fitting to make the transition from PVC to Copper? Re-do the copper section in PVC? Remove the Cast-Iron fitting and replace with PVC? Or any other suggestions?

I have attached a photo for reference. Thanks a lot for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Laundry Room Remodel Plumbing Question

Welcome and thanks for the pic.

Looks like a fernco in your future or a no-hub connector.

Comment

actually with the wall open, laundry requires a 2'' trap and standpipe. along with 2'' waste pipe. looks like the waste stack is 2'' already.

i would cut out the tapped san tee and replace it with a 2'' san tee. then run the 2'' to a new trap and standpipe. nothing wrong with abs or no hub. personally abs will stay clean a lot longer than no hub.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by jtotherod View Post
        Hello,
        I recently bought my first home that is in need of a lot of upgrades and repairs. I have been working in the construction industry for a few years now but plumbing is not my specialty. I'm not exactly sure what I should do with my problem but this seems like the best place to find the answers on doing it the right way.

Anyways, Here is my problem. I had a leak coming from the existing washing machine box(actually the gate valves were the part leaking). So I have decided to replace the unit. The new unit I have bought has 2 quarter turn ball valves and a 2" drain connection. The problem I've having is I'm not sure what to do about the existing drain. It is 1 1/2" Copper that enters into a Cast Iron Tee. The vent pipe is either ABS or PVC.

I need to find out the best option to dealing with the copper pipe. Should I use a fernco fitting to make the transition from PVC to Copper? Re-do the copper section in PVC? Remove the Cast-Iron fitting and replace with PVC? Or any other suggestions?

I have attached a photo for reference. Thanks a lot for the help!
        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        actually with the wall open, laundry requires a 2'' trap and standpipe. along with 2'' waste pipe. looks like the waste stack is 2'' already.

i would cut out the tapped san tee and replace it with a 2'' san tee. then run the 2'' to a new trap and standpipe. nothing wrong with abs or no hub. personally abs will stay clean a lot longer than no hub.

rick.
        I would have to agree with Rick on this. The extra work is minimal, will eliminate problems later on and it will bring you laundry up to Code.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why does that tee look like it's tapped 2"? It almost looks like that's a 1 1/2" x 2" male adapter. This photo makes the drain look bigger than it is.

If the tee is tapped 2" there is no need to change the tee..it's legal.

If the tee is not tapped 2" I would rather see you cut right below the tapped part on the sanitary tee (below writing on the tee if possible) and put a mission coupling over the rest of the tee you left there, and re-connect the stack with a new 2" ABS sanitary tee.

If that's not possible and you're on a slab..hire a Plumber. I wouldn't recommend you trying to drill out the lead joint incase you crack that bell close to the floor.

If you crack it..you will be taking some of that floor up.
          Last edited by Flux; 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Why does that tee look like it's tapped 2"? It almost looks like that's a 1 1/2" x 2" male adapter. This photo makes the drain look bigger than it is.

If the tee is tapped 2" there is no need to change the tee..it's legal.

If the tee is not tapped 2" I would rather see you cut right below the tapped part on the sanitary tee (below writing on the tee if possible) and put a mission coupling over the rest of the tee, and re-connect the stack with with a 2" ABS tee.

If that's not possible and you're on a slab..hire a Plumber. I wouldn't recommend you trying to drill out the lead joint incase you crack that bell close to the floor.

It will turn into a bigger job then...one you don't want to deal with.
            It looks like a 2 X 1 1/2 tapped san-tee. I'm guessing there was a laundry tray there originally.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You could turn the old 1 1/2 line out next to the tee for a cl out
              And Glue A new 2" abs tee up above it . For the line

Comment

For the do-it-your-selfer, to avoid a can of worms. leave the leaded in tapped tee where it is undisturbed. I would cut out the old copper trap and arm and unscrew the adapter and put a abs plug in it. Then cut in a new cleanout tee and 2" san tee stacked above the old lead hub tapped tee with no hub bands. Then add an abs trap and tailpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  You could turn the old 1 1/2 line out next to the tee for a cl out
                  And Glue A new 2" abs tee up above it . For the line
                  That's another good idea.

I over looked that scenario. I tend to get tunnel vision sometimes.

Comment

Ok, I'm not yet finished but here is how things went over the weekend. Once I cut the old copper line, I noticed that there was a little "play" in the cast iron pipe. Both vertical parts of the cast iron fitting had "donut" fittings. It took a lot of force but I was able to pull the cast iron tee out of the "donut".

I replaced the old donut with a new fernco donut fitting. Everything went fairly smoothly. I was unable to finish because I'm only able to work on the home ont he weekends at the moment(live in another town) but here is what I've came up with so far. Any comments or suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have to be honest, I'm surprised you dug out the lead joint and used a gasket. I was quite sure a non-plumber would never attempt that so..you get mad kudo's from me.

The only thing I don't like is the fernco...you should of used a mission coupling instead.

Comment

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          I have to be honest, I'm surprised you dug out the lead joint and used a gasket. I was quite sure a non-plumber would never attempt that so..you get mad kudo's from me.

The only thing I don't like is the fernco...you should of used a mission coupling instead.

Thanks. So are you talking about the fernco fitting from the sanitary tee to the vent? If so, I can still change that. Also, is the difference between a mission coupling and fernco that the mission coupling has a metal band?

Comment

Originally posted by jtotherod View Post
                            Thanks. So are you talking about the fernco fitting from the sanitary tee to the vent? If so, I can still change that. Also, is the difference between a mission coupling and fernco that the mission coupling has a metal band?
                            Yes, the mission coupling has a steel band. They make one to specifically go from Cast iron to Plastic.

Comment

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X