Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-Reading the Code

I'm looking at the CA Plumbing code and it says:

"Changes in direction of drainage piping shall be made by appropriate use of approved fittings and shall be of the angles presented by a one-sixteenth (1/16) bend, one-eighth (1/8) bend, or one-sixth (1/6) bend, or other approved fittings of equivalent sweep."

I can't figure out why a right angle is not included in this list. Are there no 90 degree bends in drain pipes? Thanks for any help.

Neil

Re: Mis-Reading the Code

A 90 is only legal in a vertical position
    2 45s with 10" of pipe in the middle will make a good turn

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      A 90 is only legal in a vertical position
      2 45s with 10" of pipe in the middle will make a good turn
      Wow! When I added a second story to my little 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house, I was lucky to find and install wide sweep 90 degree elbows.
      Or maybe the 1990's code did not require two 45 degree bends and straight section.
      Or else the inspector let what I did, pass.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I made the 10" part up.. you can go less, 10" makes a good smooth change of direction..
        The 90 requires a clean out

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I made the 10" part up.. you can go less, 10" makes a good smooth change of direction..
          The 90 requires a clean out
          I thought you needed a cleanout at a horizontal 90° turn, but there's this:

" An additional cleanout shall be provided in a drainage line for each aggregate horizontal change in direction exceeding one hundred thirty five (135) degrees (2.36 rad)."

What I want to do is to put a turn at the end of a horizontal drain line to position the cleanout closer to the hatch of the crawlspace. If the Code calls for a cleanout at the 90° turn, it's no big deal to add it. I see 90° long sweep fittings, so I would assume they are legal. Just having a problem understanding the wording. Thanks.

Comment

If you make the change of direction with 2 45s it = a 90
            It just lets a guy clean it out easier

Comment

Originally posted by neilG View Post
              I thought you needed a cleanout at a horizontal 90° turn, but there's this:

" An additional cleanout shall be provided in a drainage line for each aggregate horizontal change in direction exceeding one hundred thirty five (135) degrees (2.36 rad)."

What I want to do is to put a turn at the end of a horizontal drain line to position the cleanout closer to the hatch of the crawlspace. If the Code calls for a cleanout at the 90° turn, it's no big deal to add it. I see 90° long sweep fittings, so I would assume they are legal. Just having a problem understanding the wording. Thanks.
              Keep it simple.

1) Keep it straight whenever possible.
              2) If you have to turn, use the least amount of degrees and/or longest turn possible.
              3) If in doubt, put in cleanout.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X