Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this a legal P-trap? Or is it an S-trap?

I would consider going with a full 2" ptrap and reducing it at the slip connection with a 2x1 1/2 trap adapter.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick15752 View Post
      Hi everyone,
      Can someone tell me if this p-trap for a tub/shower drain is legal? It is 1 1/2" p-trap into a 2" double fixture. There will be a 1 1/2" vent. I've welded the bushings into the double fixture and dry fitted the trap for display.

Or does this make an S-trap? Is there suppose to be a minimum horizontal length between the trap and the double fixture? Or can the p-trap connect to the double fixture as shown?

A shower will drain to the other side of the double fixture which will be all 2". The double fixture will drain with a sweep 90 to a horizontal run.

Thanks.
      Rick
      Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      It's illegal. It's a full s trap. It puts the trap weir above the vent.
      Actually NHMaster3015 is right. This fitting style would only be legal at back to back water closets because of the vent.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark or NHmaster3015, Care to diagram it

The crown of the weir appears to be below the vent and the top dip of the trap is 2X diameter away from vent what is the issue?

What am I missing here?

Comment

I just examined the double fixture fitting with my 1 1/2" trap connected. I placed a yellow line where I believe the trap weir is located and a red line where the vent opening appears to be. If you look inside a double fixture fitting you should see, and feel, where the drain and vent meet. That's where I placed the red line.

Maybe someone who has a double fixture fitting can chime in.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, doesn't the bushing in the double fixture fitting allow you to increase the diameter of the drain flow from 1 1/2" to 2", not the other way around? I know the 2" trap would be easier to snake if necessary. Just curious.

Thanks.
          Rick
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rick15752; 07-25-2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: regarding the bushing ... sounds better

Comment

Sorry my bad I should have re-looked at the photo.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I wish they would get rid the double San cross

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                I wish they would get rid the double San cross
                good for venting, bad for fixtures. almost impossible to get a snake down and not across.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it's a double fixture fitting. good.

problem is the bushing. i would swap out to a full 2'' trap and then just go with a mission band 2'' to 1.5'' tail piece. perfectly legal and much easier to snake as the 2'' trap is easier to get around.

rick.
                  I disagree.
                  Just because the inspectors allow them as industry standard does not change the fact that the figure fitting has the same properties as a wye and eighth bend,thereby dropping the vent outlet too far below the flowline of the trap arm.

Why do we bust a guys chops for using a wye and eighth bend in a san-tee application?

Those figure fittings are proving to be a poor design for drain maintenance.

Stack san-tees or vertical wye and eighth under two individual san-tees if possible.

PS.
                  I'm using the figure fttg when necessary.

Comment

i agree that stacking san tees/ wet venting is a better way as long as you have the room. but typically the double fixture fitting is used and is a lot easier to snake than a double san tee that is not legal.

on no hub it's a figure #1 tapped or fig.#5.

http://www.abifoundry.com/catalog_price.htm#Figure%205

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

A double san tee is legal
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        A double san tee is legal
                        depends on how it's interpreted.

upc 704.2

two fixtures set back to back, or side to side, within the distance allowed between a trap and its vent may be served by a single vertical drainage pipe provided that each fixture waste separately into an approved double- fixture fitting having inlet openings at the same level.

condensed to save typing.

no fitting having more than 1 inlet at the same level shall be used unless such fitting is constructed so that the discharge from 1 inlet cannot readily enter any other inlet. double sanitary tees may be used when the barrel of the fitting at least 2 pipe sizes larger than the largest inlet. (pipe sizes recognized for this purpose are 2'', 2.5''. 3'', 3.5'', 4'', 4.5'' 5'', 6'' ect.).

1002.0 traps protected by vent pipes

1002.4 the vent pipe openings from a soil or waste pipe, except for water closets and similar fixtures, shall not be below the weir of the trap.

1003.3 the size of a trap for a given fixture shall be sufficient to drain the fixture rapidly, but in no case less than nor more than one pipe size larger than given in table 7-3. the trap shall be the same size as the trap arm to which it is connected.

so with all the above, you can see the reasons why it's confusing.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

When I look at the drawings, it does seem that the vent take off on the double fixture fitting is higher above the invert of the inlets, than is the case with a double combo. Don't know if that is really true, but it look like it.

Comment

Around here all we could use is a figure 5.

Comment

Well I followed the suggestions from those on this forum and installed a 2" trap with Proflex coupling. I was concerned about making things line-up, especially the vent that will be installed later. I haven't drilled that hole yet.

I have everything assembled dry right now so I can easily make changes if necessary. I've posted some photos of the assembly.

Please take a look and let me know if you think this will pass inspection.

Thanks.
                              Rick
                              Attached Files

Comment

Can't do that here. And it suuurre does look s-trappy.

Looks like you can stack two san. tees in there. I'm not holding the tape measure though.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X