Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this a legal P-trap? Or is it an S-trap?

Originally posted by Rick15752 View Post
    Well I followed the suggestions from those on this forum and installed a 2" trap with Proflex coupling. I was concerned about making things line-up, especially the vent that will be installed later. I haven't drilled that hole yet.

I have everything assembled dry right now so I can easily make changes if necessary. I've posted some photos of the assembly.

Please take a look and let me know if you think this will pass inspection.

Thanks.
    Rick

It will work but you have cost yourself alot of height... We Pros tend to value the start of the run to make sure we have the fall to the invert...
    If keeping the run inside the floor joists is not an issue then what you have will "work"...

I'm not sure a pro would lay this pattern (Drain layout) down but it appears to be legal so call the inspector and "Do what you do"

Something else to keep in mind is that the inspectors are used to seeing standard patterns so something non typical while legal may still make the inspector go "That looks strange I don't think that will work" If that becomes the case even if you were a master plumber you may not be able to talk the inspector down.... Just food for thought...

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoplummr View Post
      Around here all we could use is a figure 5.
      I am pretty sure that figure 5 is what other manufacturers call the double fixture fitting.

Comment

Thanks for the input. This setup is identical to the original plumbing that was installed during the construction of this housing tract. The only exception is that I did not use a 1 1/2" p-trap as the original plumber. I changed that to a 2" and used a Proflex instead of the slip joints used on the original w/o.

So, I'm hoping that the inspector will see that this is the way the house was built originally and I'm just replacing what was there (defective ABS) to begin with. I did not change any of the layout of the DWV, including the layout below the floor joist.

You're looking at the ceiling of the 1st floor bathroom which had a low ceiling to accommodate the plumbing. The original plumbing was installed below the floor joists of the second floor bathrooms just as it's shown in the photo.

Rick
        Last edited by Rick15752; 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: rephrasing

Comment

About 15 years ago I got nailed by an inspector (UPC code area) for making an "s" trap for a shower drain. I had no other way to hook up the trap without doing it. He let me go because of the situation I was in, but I could tell he wanted me to rip it out even further and do it again.But that would of meant the entire floor coming up and a ton of aggravation. When I look at these pictures...it reminds me of it.

Comment

Hi Flux,
            Yes. I'm somewhat concerned about how my inspection will go. But this is a repair project, replacing what was there originally. The ABS DWV throughout my home was defective pipe from the 1980's. I never had any problems with the drains, except when the kids flushed something that shouldn't have been flushed and when the pipes cracked at the fittings.

The use of the double fixture fitting was not my idea. I had to remove the existing double fixture fitting, originally installed by a plumber, which was inspected and approved by the building inspector, to replace the defective pipe. I did not want to run a different layout for the drains to avoid using this particular fitting.

I don't know what UPC code references this, but I think there is an exception in repair work when replacing an existing similar trap.

Also, after close examination of the double fixture fitting, I'm not totally convinced that the trap connection will become an S-trap.

Rick

Comment

I fully understand pre-existing situations, but an inspector could make you change it..it's very borderline.

"s" traps are illegal because of the possibility of "momentum" not giving you a good trap seal.

UPC is a very prohibitive code imo. But I'm pretty sure every Plumbing code out there prohibits "s" traps of any kind.
              Last edited by Flux; 07-26-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick15752 View Post
                Well I followed the suggestions from those on this forum and installed a 2" trap with Proflex coupling. I was concerned about making things line-up, especially the vent that will be installed later. I haven't drilled that hole yet.

I have everything assembled dry right now so I can easily make changes if necessary. I've posted some photos of the assembly.

Please take a look and let me know if you think this will pass inspection.

Thanks.
                Rick
                You live in richmond right? I highly doubt their combination inspector has enough training to call you on the crown vented tub trap. You have the general idea other than you cant have the trap hub to hub on the tee you need atleast 2 pipe diameters spacing between them. Crowns are prone to stopping up vents other than that the shower arm looks to be within the code.. I'd also put in a upper terminal clean out with a combo & blind plug on the horizontal instead of the med sweep 90.
                Last edited by plumbworker; 08-29-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X