Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a legal P-trap? Or is it an S-trap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a legal P-trap? Or is it an S-trap?

Hi everyone,
    Can someone tell me if this p-trap for a tub/shower drain is legal? It is 1 1/2" p-trap into a 2" double fixture. There will be a 1 1/2" vent. I've welded the bushings into the double fixture and dry fitted the trap for display.

Or does this make an S-trap? Is there suppose to be a minimum horizontal length between the trap and the double fixture? Or can the p-trap connect to the double fixture as shown?

A shower will drain to the other side of the double fixture which will be all 2". The double fixture will drain with a sweep 90 to a horizontal run.

Thanks.
    Rick
    Attached Files

Re: Is this a legal P-trap? Or is it an S-trap?

I'd say "s" trap because of the trap arm.

Comment

Illegal, it has to do with the sweep of the comby.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

It should connect to a san tee.

Comment

it's a double fixture fitting. good.

problem is the bushing. i would swap out to a full 2'' trap and then just go with a mission band 2'' to 1.5'' tail piece. perfectly legal and much easier to snake as the 2'' trap is easier to get around.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Actually, this setup is similar to the original that I removed. Except the original had a 2" section of 1 1/2" pipe from the trap arm to the double fixture. I installed a larger tub and now my w/o is in a slightly different position. So, the trap arm will be up close to the double fixture. In other words, you won't see any pipe between the trap arm and the double fixture. Is that o.k? Or do I need to have a minimum length on the trap arm before is connects to the double fixture?

If so, I guess I can turn the trap to allow me to insert a longer section of pipe.

Comment

Rick is pretty much dead on but the wier of the trap must be 2 pipe diameters away from the vent. If this tub has a self draining pump, then you can't use a double fixture fitting at all.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Technically the only part which is illegal is the 2" bushings. You cannot reduce the size of the trap-arm.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

In Minnesota the trap would not be considered vented because the combo cuts off the vent if the pipe runs full. A sanitary cross would be required, then you would need a clean out fitting above the san cross.

Although, I personally believe in reality what's shown would work. A 2" trap would be easier to clean and provide better drainage.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

if you use a sanitary tee it would get you closer to having those two pipe diameters, and it would be the correct fitting.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

That would be considered illegal under IPC interpretation here. You're not allowed to use a combination going from horizontal to vertical that is also the vent.

I see that it apparently is ok for the UPC, which often has what one could interpret to be "stricter" codes.

Just goes to show again that having multiple codes is complete B.S. and we all need to get together somehow to only have one book for the whole U.S.

J.C.

Comment

It's illegal. It's a full s trap. It puts the trap weir above the vent.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone,
                          Thanks for your input. I've taken some photos of the original setup to show what was installed when the home was built in 1985. This is a tract home, nothing special.

From your input, it sounds like the bushing that connects the trap at the double fixture fitting is illegal, and that going with a 2" trap will remedy this. I can do that, no problem, but I was hoping to use 1 1/2" trap because of the tight framing.

It sounds like the double fixture fitting is legal. I measured it with a 2" trap from the weir to the vent and it is 4", so that is ok. The vent opening is above the trap weir, so that is ok.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
                          Rick
                          Attached Files

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention.... the new tub is just a plain soaker, nothing special. A tub/shower came out and another one is going back in. The new tub is an American Standard Cambridge 2461.002 "Bathing Pool." In other words, a plain bath tub, not a whirlpool. The old tub was a 30" and the new one is a 32". So, a slight alteration of the drain position is needed.

I'm not sure what a "self draining pump" is. The waste/overflow is a Geberit 151.505.00.1 TurnControl BWO, which simply opens the drain and gravity takes over.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick15752 View Post
                              One more thing I forgot to mention.... the new tub is just a plain soaker, nothing special. A tub/shower came out and another one is going back in. The new tub is an American Standard Cambridge 2461.002 "Bathing Pool." In other words, a plain bath tub, not a whirlpool. The old tub was a 30" and the new one is a 32". So, a slight alteration of the drain position is needed.

I'm not sure what a "self draining pump" is. The waste/overflow is a Geberit 151.505.00.1 TurnControl BWO, which simply opens the drain and gravity takes over.
                              Some newer tubs have a pump connected to the drain so the pump empties in a few seconds. If this were the case, then the double fixture fitting would be against code.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X