X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run CSST In EMT Conduit?

Installer wants to run 1/2 inch flex stainless to a fireplace insert in 1 inch EMT conduit down the existing ash dump and through the basement wall where it would connect to the gas supply manifold. The flex and the EMT would be grounded. Any reason this should not be done. Can't find anything in the code preventing it but it seems odd.

Re: Run CSST In EMT Conduit?

it's very common to protect the csst with a tight wound steel flex, similar to the watertight flex minus the plastic cover. this is used primarily through drill holes when you're to close to the surface .

so the real question is, can the gas pipe run through the path that you're planning on going?

if steel gas can legally be run this way, then csst should too.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Ah this is not steel flex conduit it is rigid steel thin wall conduit.

Comment

i realize that, it's that one of the protection devices is called a floppy. it's tight wound steel flex. the primary purpose is to deflex nails and avoid cutting with a sawzall/ drywall saw.

you're using the emt for protection from heat or physical damage?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The EMT is just to make the short run easier and it technically outside below grade although it is in a dead air space under the fireplace.

Comment

Originally posted by BradP View Post
            The EMT is just to make the short run easier and it technically outside below grade although it is in a dead air space under the fireplace.
            below grade is an issue as the emt will rot out leaving the csst exposed to the below grade dirt. also gas is not allowed under a slab within the structure. if so it has to be sleeved with an approved material.

is the pipe subjected to heat from the fireplace or ash hatch?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

When I added my garage to the side of my house and put the laundry hookups and water heater out there; while I was doing the underground plumbing I put in 1" sch. 40 pvc conduit and sweeps with the 1/2" csst gasline inside. The conduit was vented to the outside like an Island application. The Inspector liked it. I had a flat roof with all the joists running the opposite way the piping would have to run. Saved alot of drilling.

Comment

This would be in the dead air space under the fireplace and the CSST would feed an insert and the connection to it is normally under the insert or on the side.

Comment

Is the dead air space accessible after the construction is done? Is it a crawlspace?

Comment

Is it legal to put the CSST in ANY kind of conduit, unless it is properly vented?

Comment

If it is nonaccessible after the fact and under slab...then it must be vented to the outside and sleeved properly.

CSST manufacturers have this in their books and product line. Check the supply line available for the CSST you are using. Be sure it is even listed to be used underground. I get it is dead air. It may also be dead humid air...problem. It may be concealed space after the fact. If long term exposure occurs due to poor installation then we have a leak potential that can build to flamable levels.
                      Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Well it would be vented on both ends but inside the house one end a basement and the other the fireplace in the living room. The space it is in is below the fireplace and vented to the basement with a door since it is a former ash pit.

Comment

Working...
                        X