Insulation and Radiant Heat in a basement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation and Radiant Heat in a basement

We're planning to install hot water radiant heat in the floor of our new basement in Long Island, NY. We do not plan to finish the basement, but do plan to use it. The basement is 8' below grade. We have exterior insulation around the foundation and the plans call for insulation in the ceiling. Our original plumber, recently replaced, was planning to use Insul-tarp, which he said had an R-value of 10. Through research we've learned that Insul-tarp was sanctioned by the FTC for exaggerated R-value claims and is basically worthless as an insulation.

What do you all use? Is insulation needed? Our architectural plans, prior to our decision to put in radiant heat, called for R-10 insulation only at the perimeter of the slab.

Re: Insulation and Radiant Heat in a basement

Some insulation under the radiant tubing is better than none. You won't need much especially at that depth. It's just to keep the heat from leaching down into the soil. I'm not sure you will recoup what you spend on it versus the energy you lose without having it.

Comment

My only experience on the matter is in an arctic environment.

In my neck of the woods, radiant floor heating is very inefficient if there is less than 4" (about R-20) of foam under it.

I'm betting your mean ground temperature is likely alot higher than we have, but the earth is still a large thermal mass that would be good to isolate from an area you're paying to heat.

I would recommend installing as much insulation as you can.

Good luck

Comment

Most jobs we use 2" styrofoam
        sigpic

Comment

2" also. i checked seasonal averages for rochester, ny. it's about the same as ours. fulton, in. you know insulation is one thing that will pay you back for the rest of your life or at least as long as you live there. breid............

Comment

We have been using foil backed bubble insulation because it is thinner (less excavation) and you can curve it up the foundation wall as the heat always tries to escape at the footings.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
            X