X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke a House

Ok boys, looks like I'm gonna' have to smoke a house.

Never did it before. Any specific advice is greatly appreciated. Also, any links where I can buy smoke cartridges you've used. None available locally.

Thanks for any help.

J.C.

Re: Smoke a House

Seal off the vents and the main outlet. Hopefully there is a clean out where
    you can insert a test ball. Make sure there are no dry traps anywhere.
    Let the neighbors know so they don't call the F. D. when they see smoke
    comin' out of the house.

Comment

Somebody buzz PlumbersCrack & ask him where he gets the smokers and what kind.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Just get you a hand full of those little smoke bombs they sell at novelty
        shops or dime stores (I guess they're dollar stores now). Put about six of
        'em in a tin can, drop it in the clean out, and use a fan or blower to force
        the smoke into the system. It shouldn't take much smoke and they
        come in purty colors.

Comment

REVENGE RODENT SMOKE BOMBS .I bought mine at Amazon
          25 box about $26.00 i think
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

'smokeys' are avail by mail order... ill get you a link tonight, gotta run now.

run your fan or leaf blower or whatever no smoke first and make sure you are not blowing toilets; my wet vac as a blower blew toilets when run full into it; had to back it up a little so some air missed the dryer duct flex i was using.

I went up from the tank and out the vent on the last one I did... left vent open as I wanted the smoke to move through the system, and it kept me off the roof.

turned out to be electrical conduit to the tank letting smaell back into the house.

extra people around will help; extra eyes to watch everything.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              'smokeys' are avail by mail order... ill get you a link tonight, gotta run now.

run your fan or leaf blower or whatever no smoke first and make sure you are not blowing toilets; my wet vac as a blower blew toilets when run full into it; had to back it up a little so some air missed the dryer duct flex i was using.

I went up from the tank and out the vent on the last one I did... left vent open as I wanted the smoke to move through the system, and it kept me off the roof.

turned out to be electrical conduit to the tank letting smaell back into the house.

extra people around will help; extra eyes to watch everything.
              why would You have an elec. conduit to a toilet tank ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                why would You have an elec. conduit to a toilet tank ?
                Septic Tank boss.

J.C.

Comment

most HVAC places sell them. I get mine from R.E. Michel

Comment

ok, i got my smokeys from johnstone supply. diversitech makes them.

js pn h24-733 is the 75 second ones. http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/...t_Code=H24-733

i use a 3" pvc san-t with a female theaded adapter and a c/o plug on one end, flex dryer duct duct taped to the other 2 ends... duct tape the flex to where you want the smoke to go, blow in the other flex with whatever you've got to blow, drop the lit smokey in the end with the threaded plug.

works for me.

my wet vac on blower is too strong for the sitches i've used it thus far; had to have a gumby to hold the vac blower back a bit from the flex and run the smokeys, etc. The guy I got the idea from had it set up with a cheap fart fan blower all in a tool case nice like.

not a one man job; put the gumbies in the dumb spots and keep yourself free to move around the intelligence required spots; goes best with helpers not too proud to be gumbies.
                    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I prefer to use peppermint oil to find the source of sewer odors.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I agree with Ron 110%. Why wont a peppermint test work?

Comment

This is where I get mine.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/Main/globalSearch.do?{globalApp.quickSearchSearchType}= &{globalApp.quickSearchCriteria}=smoke

Comment

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I went to two places today, (Drugstore, Grocery Store) no Peppermint or Cinnamon anything. I even asked for help!

Grabbed a big jug of Pine Sol, put it with about 50/50 hot water, and had a helper dump it in the vent closest to the described problem while I went sniffing.

Nothing.

I crawled into the attic near the same area to inspect the vents. Hot brother.

Nothing.

I'm leaning towards something in the HVAC ducts. I've ran into it before where the customer was very persistent that it was in the DWV. Ended up being a decaying squirrel either in the duct or near a leaking duct.

HVAC guy is coming soon also. They're supposed to report back or call if I can help any further.

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

Last peppermint test we did in a 5th/3rd bank in Barrington it turned out to be a dead squirrel in the wall.
                              Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
                              X