Overall advice on a supply water line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall advice on a supply water line

If you do not have power and phone / (cat 5) / coax line run, now would be the time to consider that as well

Comment

Thanks guys I have got Power NO PHONE this is a getaway place. 1300 foot off the beaten path. Found the SDR 21 for .43 a foot now It's cheaper than the Pex. The guy at the wholesale place told me he could get me 500 foot rolls of poly pipe and I may go that route for less connection. Thanks for all your help. Rick

Comment

Remember that the ID of PEX is small. I think at a nominal 5 gallons per minute usage, 1300 feet of 1" pex would have way too much loss.

1" PE is closer, 1/14" PE or PVC would be my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky b View Post
          Thanks guys I have got Power NO PHONE this is a getaway place. 1300 foot off the beaten path. Found the SDR 21 for .43 a foot now It's cheaper than the Pex. The guy at the wholesale place told me he could get me 500 foot rolls of poly pipe and I may go that route for less connection. Thanks for all your help. Rick
          That's why I'm not a fan of using PVC for water lines underground. The less connections you have..the better off you are.

Now it seems to me that the South uses more PVC underground than the North does. I have yet to see any type of PVC waterlines underground in my area.

It's either copper-iron-or Poly.

But it's also important to back-fill correctly as well. Soil also plays a part...because in our area, we have a TON of rocks and shale in our area.. so back-filling is important.
          Last edited by Flux; 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

back in eastern North Carolina, we used PVC for our water services, our water shutoffs were also in valve boxes in the yard right outside of the foundation.

In Southwest Missouri we use a lot more poly pipe for our water services, though some of the well guys will run PVC if they get contracted to run the service to the house. Our shutoffs here are in the houses mechanical room.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              back in eastern North Carolina, we used PVC for our water services, our water shutoffs were also in valve boxes in the yard right outside of the foundation.

In Southwest Missouri we use a lot more poly pipe for our water services, though some of the well guys will run PVC if they get contracted to run the service to the house. Our shutoffs here are in the houses mechanical room.
              Every time I travel down south, It's weird seeing Water meters out side and above ground for me. I used to date a girl who lived in Louisiana and it was weird seeing her water service a foot below ground and valve boxes outside.

To be quite honest with you..I kind of like that idea, compared to us having to sink it 36" or deeper below the frost line here.

Comment

Working...
              X