Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Drain Tiles - Gravel & Filter Fabric

Hello,

We may be replacing our drain tiles. The ones currently there have a small amount of pea gravel around them. They'll be using rigid pvc pipe with the holes in them. They talked about using pea gravel around it with a filter sock pulled around the pipe.

Does this sound good or should they use crushed gravel instead as well as a filter fabric sretched over the gravel before the backfil goes in? Wont pea gravel go into the holes in the pvc pipe?

What filter fabric should be used? Landscape fabric? The one one I see that's also for filter fabric is Weedstopper, not available in my area.

Thanks

Re: Replacing Drain Tiles - Gravel & Filter Fabric

kinda depends on local variables, like what's your soil like and what's the availability and price of different bedding matl.

I like the ridgid pipe with holes in it much better in this application than the corrugated flex, so I agree with that choice.

Pea gravel will be fine; the sock will keep it out of the pipe.

I like to use bigger rock, like 1"-2", that is too big to get in the holes and not use the sock, and use a lot of it. The sock is so fine it can clog up with silt/clay pretty easy. But mostly that applies around here, because crushed rock is abundant and close by, so it's cheap to buy and cheap to truck in. I'd try to make sure you have good, knowledgeable people doing the job and trust their recommendations for your area.

Mostly, there are a couple of things to get right in the installation. Make sure it's at the right depth (just below footer), make sure it daylights somewhere (you are putting the pipe in to collect water, so make sure it has somewhere to go), and make sure it's graded properly (dead flat around the house, or sloping a tiny bit towards the top of the drain leg, and drain leg downhill to daylight. Affix a coarse metal screen over the daylight to keep critters out. And take care with bedding and compaction and joints, etc.

You also want the finished grade to slope away from the house in every direction. If a hill comes down to the house on one side, you cut it back so grade dips below the house on that side a few feet (at least 4') from it and then comes back up to the house; called a swale. Again, make sure water collecting in the swale has somewhere to go, somewhere away from the house.

It's all pretty common sense; just take some care and it's bomber, but a lot of guys don't put in the proper care on these because 'it's just a foundation drain.'

This is a redo, no a new house, right? If it's new, make sure the util installers dont come through afterward and trench right through your drains; I see that commonly.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Yes, this house is a re-do. It was built in the mid 60's.

Thanks

Comment

Is there a best direction for the holes in the pvc to be positioned? I've read 4 or 6 or 5 or 7 o'clock but which is best for the drainage? Which would help to prevent roots, closer to the foundation or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks

Comment

We do a lot of this for retaining walls .Holes always down! 3/4" crushed gravel. Make a 12" burrito wrapped in real filter fabric.
          This is in plans from Geo. Engs.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            We do a lot of this for retaining walls .Holes always down! 3/4" crushed gravel. Make a 12" burrito wrapped in real filter fabric.
            This is in plans from Geo. Engs.
            Should the pipe have a filter sock slipped on it in addition to the filter fabric around the gravel to prevent the gravel to enter the holes?

Thanks
            Last edited by bobt; 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

No , socks are never used on Eng. projects
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X