Apprenticeship program question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship program question

I have been trying to gain a plumbing apprenticeship for a couple of months now, I have prevoius experince working with a master plumber but he is not looking to grow his business and is semi retired now, so he said he cannot apprentice me. but he calls me when he needs help, I've done stuff like helping him with waters heaters & rough ins and mostly service work. I am currently attending a pre app course which will be over in a couple weeks. well I just got a call my a (small) local plumbing co. I have an interview this week. on the phone he said my job will be little stuff like installing sinks, fixing toilets taking apart p tarps, he said I will be given a co truck but I will have to go on calls by my self. my question is Im not a registered apprentice yet is this normally to be sent out on my own with not a lot of experince shouldnt I be supervised I want to get my licence a couple of years down the road and go though the apprenticeship program but I want to do it the right way I dont what to be doing things in which you need a licence for. do I need a licence for stuff like this. I just dont want an inspecter or the plumbing police to nail me doing unlicenced work and advice

Re: Apprenticeship program question

Welcome to the forum "D"

I'm not sure how your local authorities look upon unlicensed or non journeymen.

Down here there nations plumber union's have great programs.Also a guy can get trained through the PHCC.

Comment

apprentices are suppose to be supervised.

pre apprentices are suppose to be kept on a leash

it's great you question this. because you're right. you're suppose to be under direct supervision of a journeyman level plumber.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Apprentice - supervised

Journeyman - unsupervised

Master - You have reached the top of the mountain.

Comment

I understand that some states are quite strict about the requirement for an apprentice to be supervised by a journey may, perhaps also a rule that journeyman can only supervise 2 apprentices. In California, it is a lot more lax than that. Very common to operate as the poster described....boss has the contractor's license, and hands the truck keys to anyone he wants!

Comment

Strictly speaking, apprentices must be supervised by either a journeyman or a master who shall be on the premises when the apprentice is working. In real life though and in most rural parts of the country, apprentices commonly work unsupervised. It all depends on how much your local and regional inspectors are willing to look the other way. For owners that send their apprentices out unsupervised, besides the stuff the board can throw at you there is a larger question of liability should the unsupervised apprentice happen to cause damage or injury. My feeling here is that any company that would engage in such practice has not carefully considered the possible ramifications.
            sigpic

Comment

As others have stated you will need lots of supervision early on. Whether you end up doing mostly construction or service later on is something to think about later also, but I strongly advise you to get involved in the construction side during your apprenticeship, and learn as much as you can about how systems are put together, it will serve you well if you do end in service and help when you have to start some real troubleshooting.
              Take the time to find an employer that will train you and not just throw you into the fire.

Comment

Working...
              X