change careers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ho

It will pay more down the road plus with the union there is a pension plan. I think having a plumbing license alone will provide me with more security in the future. The career change is something I would like to do but I just wish I could know how my apprenticeship would go. will there be alot of work, will they make me travel far? I have also just told my current boss about the job offer from the union and he is telling me that in time i will become a supervisor at my work but would not say when or even give me a time frame on it. so, I dont know.

Comment

Re: change careers?

the union is a great way to learn the trade and get the education.

but judging from your current situation, why not see if you could work on your day off/ saturday? with a local service shop and see if you like the path without committing full time to a career change.

if you were single or had no children, the situation would be different. but at this point, you're making a giant sacrifice looking for the payoff down the road. that's the difficult decision you have.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

yes the union does have great training and education and that is something I like about it. I had thought about just working on the weekends and evenings with a local service shop but was concerned that nobody would be interested in hiring me for those hours and that I wouldnt learn anything except how to clear drains. Your absolutely right, If I were single this decision would be pretty easy to make... its the fact that I have a family to support that makes it so difficult. I am also worried that I might be throwing away a great opportunity by not joining the union. I really need a crystal ball... or a DeLorean.

Comment

or a DeLorean.
          with the optional 1.21GW flux capacitor right?
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Working...
          X