how to retain shape of pvc while threading pipe

Re: threading pvc pipe

Has to be schedule 80 for starters
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

pvc requires dies made for pvc. i have them and they work great.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've honestly have never had a threaded PVC pipe situation.

What situations do you use them in? Anyone?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I use threaded brass urinal flanges, sometimes the tee is roughed into the wall too close to the sheetrock to fit a pvc MIP into it and not have the flange pushed off the wall. When that happens I just thread a short peice of 2" and cut it to length.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I've honestly have never had a threaded PVC pipe situation.

What situations do you use them in? Anyone?

Thanks.

J.C.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

needed to fix some lab faucets that were made of plastic. plus for sprinkler work, great for pvc risers with no mip. especially on valve assemblies and shrub risers sch. 80.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I use threaded brass urinal flanges, sometimes the tee is roughed into the wall too close to the sheetrock to fit a pvc MIP into it and not have the flange pushed off the wall. When that happens I just thread a short peice of 2" and cut it to length.
              Good tip. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Damn Mo'
                Awesome return

That's about the only time I thread PVC.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  needed to fix some lab faucets that were made of plastic. plus for sprinkler work, great for pvc risers with no mip. especially on valve assemblies and shrub risers sch. 80.

rick.
                  Damn you got a lot of toys on that truck Rick.Got any room for 1-1/2" slip nut

I think for sprinklers I'd just use sch80 pipe and SxMIP's

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Damn you got a lot of toys on that truck Rick.Got any room for 1-1/2" slip nut

I think for sprinklers I'd just use sch80 pipe and SxMIP's
                    adam, you know it's not on the truck. not even on the big truck. sitting at the shop next to my sch 80 pvc bunny box

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

adam, you know it's not on the truck. not even on the big truck. sitting at the shop next to my sch 80 pvc bunny box

rick.
                      I still think you got room for it on your truck.

Comment

for sprinkler work, great for pvc risers
                        Hi Rick,

Risers are my application. I am wondering if you or others here can point me toward the best solution for threading 1/2" pvc. On the Ridgid site, I found the 12-R with the 83460 die head.

The problem for me is that the best solution has to include a low price tag. I cannot justify the cost of a new 12-R plus die given my extremely limited budget and the nominal amount of threading I would have need for. At most I would need to thread 10 to 12 sections of pvc per year, many years the total would be 0 (zero).

I think I saw reference to the Ridgid 515 also having the ability to thread pvc, but found less information about this tool in comparison to the 12-R. So I don't know if the 515 is something I should be looking at or not.

If someone has ideas including (gulp) possibly a much cheaper/inferior but servicable solution - I'd love to hear of it. For now, I will simply use the pvc adapters for faucets and I will be watching ebay for a low-priced 83460 to pass by. Certainly I can live with the pvc adapters, but I am always looking for a better solution and being able to exclude the adapter from the design is something I would like to accomplish.

Many thanks,

Tom

Comment

tom, i think only sch 80 can be field threaded. i don't believe you're allowed to thread sch 40 pipe.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Wouldn't it be faster to just use a 2" x close sch 40 brass nipple? I guess if you do a bunch of urinals you could premake the pvc nipples.

BTW: For the first time on Friday I saw a urinal auger in a catalog. I bought it. I'm perfectly willing to wait to use it though.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

the in wall piping is usually pvc here. so threading the pvc is easier in that application. Now, were it cast iron, yeah, you'd be right on the money
                              Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Wouldn't it be faster to just use a 2" x close sch 40 brass nipple? I guess if you do a bunch of urinals you could premake the pvc nipples.

BTW: For the first time on Friday I saw a urinal auger in a catalog. I bought it. I'm perfectly willing to wait to use it though.
                              I have terrible luck with urinal augers, I destroy the cables on them every time. I'll either acid them, or pull the urinal and clean it from the back
                              Last edited by MoJourneyman; 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: adding to it
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X