Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

shower body goes from boiling hot to freezing cold with no in between...HELP!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower body goes from boiling hot to freezing cold with no in between...HELP!

I cannot take showers because I cannot get warm water only boiling hot or cold...I purchased a pegasus shower body which was installed by a plumber who assures me he installed the shower body the right way. The plumber says the cartridge must be bad, so we called the company and got a replacement, I put in the new cartridge and still the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? My wife is giving me a headache.

Re: shower body goes from boiling hot to freezing cold with no in between...HELP!

shower valve could be connected wrong.
    a particular kohler valve will show the same symptoms when hot and cold are hooked up reversed.

People should not be putting Pegasis or Glacier Bay in walls and enclosing them with expensive tile projects.

All professional plumbers should know this.
    What happened to your guy?

I turn down the job before I agree to put one in.

Sorry
    Adam

Comment

Re: shower body goes from boiling hot to freezing cold with no in between...HELP!

Do you get cold as you just turn it on?

J.C.

Comment

Hopefully one can check correct installation by pulling the cover plate.
        Then be even more lucky to have access from the drywalled closet from the backside to put in a better quality valve,this of course being your cheapest way out.

Comment

the hot and cold are not reversed, we thought this could be the problem but the plumber says he put them the way they are supposed to be as per the instructions for the shower body.

if its in the cold position i get cold..if its in the hot position i get hot...there is just no in between, i can turn it as slowly as possible and when the hot water kicks in just a little bit, it comes out boiling.

Comment

Dirtyhands, yes on both accounts although im really hoping theres another way besides breaking the drywall on the other side, which would also involve moving my stackable washer and dryer and really be an inconvenience.

A question of ethics, assuming we must go that route, am i responsible for the work/cost or is the plumber?

Comment

Originally posted by woppa124 View Post
              Dirtyhands, yes on both accounts although im really hoping theres another way besides breaking the drywall on the other side, which would also involve moving my stackable washer and dryer and really be an inconvenience.

A question of ethics, assuming we must go that route, am i responsible for the work/cost or is the plumber?
              You supply the valve, you are responsible for all extra costs.

Post a picture of the valve if you can. May help....or may not.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by woppa124 View Post

I'm very glad for your drywall on the other side.If you have the resources to push it(time being the most important to some),work it out with him.I personally as a professional take care of my customers.

On the other hand we out here have a certain element that claims to know how to do everything yet cannot screw in a light bulb.The homeowner figures the entity is so cheap they will take their chances.In their case good luck,better start looking for someone else.

Is your guy a licensed individual?

Comment

if you provided the valve, And he did install it correctly, then you are probably going to be responsible for any additional costs.

Now, if he's got it installed sideways or something, then it's his baby.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Was the cartridge pulled out during the install for copper pipe and if so was it installed back in the right way, also check the temperature limit dial, but also being a pegasus it could very well be a MANUFACTURE DEFECT I had one that the port for the hot side was cast closed, No hot water at all
                    I don't bite my finger nails, I KNOW when payday is, and yes, it can run uphill when it gets blocked(or you install a grinder pump) so HA!!!!

Comment

I had a friends daughter who bought a Pegasus tub/shower faucet, and had me install it. He knows that I only recommend Moen.

After I installed it, I couldn't get the water to shut completely off. No matter what I tried I couldn't fix the problem, so I ripped the damn thing out, and sent her back to Home Depot to get a Moen posi temp.

I will never install an off brand named tub & shower faucet for my customers.

Comment

thanks for all the help everyone. ill try as best i can to answer questions with my limited knowledge of plumbing...

The plumber is a friend of my wifes extended family, i dont think he is liscensed but i think he works under a liscense at his company.

plumber01...what do you mean was the cartridge pulled out during the install for copper pipe?

Let me back up a second...I recently purchased a home, we completely renovated it from the inside out and i gutted the bathroom along with half the house...i went to buy the shower body and came back with the faucet, shower head, and knob...he sweated the copper pipe for the hot and cold for the shower...the shower body was installed and after the second effort to remedy the situation by cleaning the filter screens which he said were gunked up behind the shower body (knob thing) he decided the only problem left would be the cartridge in the shower body (knob thing) a new cartridge did not fix the situation.

Im not sure if this makes a difference but i should probably add we asked him to put in a three way valve so we could also have an optional hand shower attachment...three way valve is working fine...besides the hot and cold water problem.

Comment

You could try pulling the cartridge out, turn the hot water off ant the water heater (If it is not a pressure balanced valve)and see if the valve is getting cold water in the first place, do you have a model number available?
                          I don't bite my finger nails, I KNOW when payday is, and yes, it can run uphill when it gets blocked(or you install a grinder pump) so HA!!!!

Comment

im not sure i understand...the valve is getting cold water, the problem is it wont mix cold with hot to make warm, how this could happen i dont understand, but once i turn past a certain point, only boiling hot water comes out.

Comment

Got a digital camera?

Take a picture of the valve as it is installed now.
                              Take a picture with the trim removed.
                              If possible, a picture with the cartridge removed.
                              And the valve body with the cartridge removed.

Might help....might not.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X