X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet flange in cement

Observation: Removed toilet to tile room (stick tile). Flange is seated flush in cement slab. The slots are broken that hold the toilet bolts. I bought three kind of repair options. 1) spanabreak, which are two metal pieces you screw in. 2) a plastic closet ring 3) a brass closet ring.

Issue: The original flange is not screwed in, it actually looks like he cemented in and the holes that I would use to screw in these flange repair options are flush with the slab, so I am not exactly sure what to do to make a screw hole.

My brain: My brain is thinking that i epoxy the spanabreak (now I'm an accountant, not a plumber) to the old flange, or, shove half of the screw head under the remaining lip of the old flange and hope for the best, or shove a rag in the hole and go to a football game.

Re: Toilet flange in cement

the flange is most likely a poured lead joint. a picture would be a good start.

if it's a true 4'' flange, there is a chance that an internal 4'' compression flange will correct the problem and bring the flange up to the proper level.

post a photo of the flange for a better take on it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Pictures attached. Not lead. Plastic. You kind of have to look through the grime to see it.
      Attached Files

Comment

what you have there is a very common problem with the old plastic flange with steel/ orange ring. it's a problem when the toilet is leaking and the steel flange ring starts to rot.

they now make them with a stainless ring

you have 2 options, both of which are pretty simple.

is the pipe 4'' or 3''

if it's 4'', you can typically glue a new 3'' internally into the 4'' pipe. but it has to properly fit and the pipe is glued with pvc glue for your pvc pipe.

the replacement top flange can be screwed down on top of a cleaned off flange. you would need to scrape off all the old metal and clean the concrete. then properly screw down the flange with all brass or stainless screws. we have replacement top flanges that are stainless made specifically for this problem.

clean and prep the floor. post more pictures with your replacement parts and 1 of them should work.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

That looks like a 4" pipe. Get a flange with a stainless steel ring that will glue onto the inside of the 4" pipe, and be done with it. Just make sure to secure it to the concrete.

Rick, do the supply houses in your area carry the flanges with the stainless steel rings? My local one does not, so I have to buy flanges in bulk from Las Vegas and keep them on hand to avoid using the painted steel ones. The catch is they only carry one size with a stainless steel ring, so if I need a different size, I have to track them down from a different source who is usually much more expensive. The hassle I go through to do things right.

Comment

Are you guys talking about the "clam" flange?

Comment

I'm guessing that it's 3"...who's right?

Comment

why not just sink a couple of anchors into the concrete?
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i like the ones with 6 holes. i've had instances of 4 or 5 biscuit customers. i would be afraid that only 2 screws would not be enough. breid................

Comment

Hire a plumber.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X