Drilling drop in anchors’ in pre cast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling drop in anchors’ in pre cast

I have allot of 3/8 drop in anchors’ to drill in precast and was wanting to know if anyone has used a hilti to pound in threaded studs to support the hangers? I was hoping this might speed things up?

Thoughts?

Thx in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Drilling drop in anchors’ in pre cast

if there are specs, you better follow the specs. but yes, i have used my hiti 600 to shoot in 3/8'' threaded studs. just make sure you shoot into the solid stuff and not the honeycomb thinner stuff.

check with the concrete contractor for his advise. but also check with the engineer if they have an objection.

personally i feel much more confident with the 3/8'' drop in anchors.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thx for the professional advice rick much appreciated as always.

Comment

Sammy's might be another option for you to use.
        Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Ditto on Rick, make sure it is allowed. If it is then you can also get an extension for the gun to be able to use it from the ground, so much easier than climbing a ladder to do it. One problem I have encountered though is that some of the precast slabs are made from a different psi cure concrete and shatter when you shoot the pins, then the pins fall out. The precast manufacturer and the engineer will have to be consulted first, then it still may not work. Trial after approval.

Haven't used the tapcon style sammys in precast yet, interested but are they priced competitively? Guess it all depends on what you are trying to support. Each of the suggestions has it's own pros and cons and specific applications.

Comment

You better check with the higher ups.If I got caught shooting in pins in someones building without approval they're all coming out and drop-ins are going in.Especially Los Angeles.
            I have the Dx-460 in 10mm.Don't look for the front Mag. they don't make them for 3/8" threaded studs.

Comment

Yep,
              Also just saw a combo / flip kit ..You drill for the anchor then flip over and hammer the anchor in .. R U kIDDIN' ME ...Yes
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X