Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home repipe question - where and what to run?

Originally posted by Flot View Post
    I'll head down there this week - my dealings with the building dept have been 50/50 when it comes to "helpfulness." I don't know how it works everywhere else but here in south fl you can call the most expensive, reput ble contractors and the first question they ask is if you want the job permitted or not. (although I am 110% in favor of building to code)
    Because of so many people hiring unlicensed hacks,who by the way cannot pass an inspection,your community has become accustomed to hack prices.
    I will ask that question to see where the homeowner stands without having to waste time figuring out if he wants a hack job(which is a waste of my time discussing).

I enjoy visiting with inspectors while he is looking over a project.We do alot of laughing at what is going on in other peoples homes.I show him/her tons of pictures.

This service of course I Budget into the job

Adam

P.S.
    How thick is your furring.With pex you can do individual drops.
    I don't like pipes outside.
    #1. Very ugly on a beautifull home.
    #2. System should be insulated to protect water temperatures.
    #3.Running around the outside adds alot of footage.Takes longer to get hot water.

Comment

RUNNING plumbing outside a home is just plain ugly !!!!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Still have not made it to the building dept, but have been thinking and measuring a lot and still finding it hard to believe that running outside is not the answer if to code.

By my math, I could build the whole 30' straight assembly inside in air conditioned comfort, solder in Tees and threaded fittings on for all my connections, and end up with a prebuilt plumbing manifold that would just slide in to holes through the wall. WH, Laundry, Dishwasher, Sink, Ice Maker, Master Bath and Shower - and done right could skip any soldering inside the house whatsoever. Just screw on valves and connect.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded as to why this wouldn't be the preferred approach - this exterior wall in particular already has the A/C, pool pump, telephone, cable, electric service and gas meter + all their associated connections on it, I don't think two straight runs of 1/2 pipe will make any difference.

Will see what the inspector says.

Note: I do have a pretty unique sitaution here in that this "ugly wall" is also the exterior wall to 75% of the plumbing in the house... I wouldn't be considering this if the plumbing were to branch off in other directions, around a corner, or more than this one wall. Just the way the house was laid out. I can do the same thing on the inside of this block wall instead, but space gets tighter and I'd have to punch through a few walls and remove quite a bit of drywall.
        Last edited by Flot; 08-27-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flot View Post
          Still have not made it to the building dept, but have been thinking and measuring a lot and still finding it hard to believe that running outside is not the answer if to code.

By my math, I could build the whole 30' straight assembly inside in air conditioned comfort, solder in Tees and threaded fittings on for all my connections, and end up with a prebuilt plumbing manifold that would just slide in to holes through the wall. WH, Laundry, Dishwasher, Sink, Ice Maker, Master Bath and Shower - and done right could skip any soldering inside the house whatsoever. Just screw on valves and connect.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded as to why this wouldn't be the preferred approach - this exterior wall in particular already has the A/C, pool pump, telephone, cable, electric service and gas meter + all their associated connections on it, I don't think two straight runs of 1/2 pipe will make any difference.

Will see what the inspector says.

Note: I do have a pretty unique sitaution here in that this "ugly wall" is also the exterior wall to 75% of the plumbing in the house... I wouldn't be considering this if the plumbing were to branch off in other directions, around a corner, or more than this one wall. Just the way the house was laid out. I can do the same thing on the inside of this block wall instead, but space gets tighter.
          If you're allowed to install your water lines on the outside by code, then go for it.

But when you ask Professional Plumbers are opinion on it, the majority of us will say it's ugly and something a "hack" would do. I personally would never run water lines on the outside of a home..period.

I'm sure you do have a unique situation there, so maybe you can make it look nice or boxed in on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            But when you ask Professional Plumbers are opinion on it, the majority of us will say it's ugly and something a "hack" would do. I personally would never run water lines on the outside of a home..period.
            Understood. Maybe it's a local thing. The 60s houses down here don't have usable attics or any crawlspaces so if something isn't original-set-in-concrete, it's often running outside the house.

I've seen some houses down here with the AC ductwork running outside!!

But - all great points, just making sure everyone knows where I'm coming from. I do have the one bath on the far side of the house, which will have to go through the attic for all the asthetic reasons people suggested.
            Last edited by Flot; 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Like I mentioned before, I've done a many of 'em outside, and yes I'm
              in Fla. so I know exactly what kind of house you're talking about.
              Who cares what anybody else thinks (including yours truly). It's your
              house and your the one that's going to be looking at it. The smart way,
              in your case, is the easy way.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                Like I mentioned before, I've done a many of 'em outside, and yes I'm
                in Fla. so I know exactly what kind of house you're talking about.
                Who cares what anybody else thinks (including yours truly). It's your
                house and your the one that's going to be looking at it. The smart way,
                in your case, is the easy way.
                The smart way is the way his building department wants it done.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  The smart way is the way his building department wants it done.
                  Maybe where you live, but down here all they care about is collecting the
                  bucks for the permit. They could care less whether the pipes are run
                  from the outside or not.

Comment

Ok guys - talked to the building department.

They had zero preference. Inside, outside, through the living room and didn't care what material I used either, as long as it WASN'T PVC.

The inspector was surprised to hear me say that all my neighbors copper is going bad. (this seemed about right to me, 48 years?)

His personal suggestion, based on my description, was for me to use CPVC and do it outside. He also wasn't worried about CPVC and UV exposure. In some more reading I'd be a little concerned about CPVC and its linear expansion, that might make it difficult to get joints through the wall?

So I ask again. What would you all recommend?
                    Last edited by Flot; 08-31-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

there's some stuff that covers pipes that are mounted on the wall.

It's kinda like "wiremould" but for pipes.

I tried to find a link but was not successful.

I'm sure someone on here knows what it's called and where to find it.

I'd run it inside.. but plumbing in the arctic is way different than Florida

Comment

Why don't you build a bulkhead inside and pipe everything inside Again inside. Pad out a wall or build a bulkhead .There has to be a way to do it inside. As you can tell I would repipe inside with cpvc or "L" copper thats it,,,
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X