X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Leaking Problem

Hi any advise will be greatly appreciated. I hired a plumber to install the flange extensor in my second floor toilet after I put the new tiles in the bathroom. He charged me for the parts and the labor. Few months later my toilet got clogged and water actually seeped through the first floor ceiling. I requested other plumber from the same company to come and look at the problem. He found out that the flange extensor was not actually installed. Apparently the first guy put the double wax seal in there instead of the flange extensor. When I called the company to see if they will pay for the water damage on the ceiling, they said water damage is from the overflowing of the water on to the floor of the bathroom.
    I do not know alot about plumbing, if any of you can give me any advise that sill be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance

Re: Toilet Leaking Problem

I'm more curious to know how the toilet line was clogged. Was it the line itself, or was it the toilet that was clogged?

Unfortunately...a flange extension kit is not going to stop water leaking if you have a back-up.

Comment

they said the line is fine, the toilet was clogged. Do you think if I get a newer toilet (the one I am using now is old), it will fix the problem of water seeping through?

Comment

Without seeing the invoice there is no way for us to know what the plumber really did. That said, if the water closet overflowed the flood-rim due to a common stoppage, the plumber is not responsible for the water damage but may need to come back and fix your flange correctly. If your water closet leaked at the new floor connection, your plumber is likely responsible.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyk1986 View Post
          they said the line is fine, the toilet was clogged. Do you think if I get a newer toilet (the one I am using now is old), it will fix the problem of water seeping through?

Your talking about water seeping through the bottom of the toilet right? But the company is claiming that the clog caused the water damage by over flowing your toilet? Did this start when the clog happened or was it before?

Comment

I'm thinking..

Since the Plumber double waxed it, one of those wax rings might of been horned or possibly double horned with the other one on top.

If the Plumber used 2 regular wax rings, excess wax might of covered the hole partially.

The same could of happen with 2 horned wax rings.

Another issue could be your toilet paper. Is it really soft? If you're using really soft toilet paper and you have a horned wax ring..or excess wax over the hole..that could be an issue.

Your toilet is old, but doesn't automatically mean it's time to replace. There are many factors that are involved with that as well.

It's hard to say exactly what caused your problem without being there first hand to see it.

If your toilet paper is fine, and your toilet flushes good, and you don't go to the bathroom hard..yes it could be the Plumbers fault.

Comment

Do you have to plunge it a lot ?
              Was it rocking or firm to the floor ?

Comment

If his invoice specifically itemized flange extension, and he took the short cut of using two wax rings instead, I would say you have a beef with the company.

If he just installed the toilet, with no specifics, then 2 rings is not per se a bad thing. I don't like double rings, but it is done. How long ago? The company should give you some warranty that a toilet won't leak at the floor. An improperly installed wax ring may not show the leak until that one time when the line backs up a little or whatever..

Comment

Don'toilets have a bowl capacity which just barely contains all the water if there is a clog?
                  If we have a solid clog, the water reaches the rim but does not overflow.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                  X