Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Well Pump hose barb question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well Pump hose barb question

    Hello,
    I am getting ready to install a new 4" Submersible pump in an irrigation well. The pump will be submersed 40' deep. My question is that the pump outlet is stainless steel 1-1/2 NPT, and I need to adapt it down to a 1-1/4 hose barb for the 1-1/4 poly pipe. Is it acceptable to use a PVC bushing to reduce the 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 and then use a brass 1-1/4 hose barb? Should I use teflon tape on all the threads?
    I would prefer to use a 1-1/2NPT to 1-1/4 hose barb in stainless steel, but can't find one locally.
    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Well Pump hose barb question

    Sure it's acceptable. You'll need to anticipate issues though, the plastic overtime may become brittle and crack under stress. How about brass bushing ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Well Pump hose barb question

      Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
      Sure it's acceptable. You'll need to anticipate issues though, the plastic overtime may become brittle and crack under stress. How about brass bushing ?
      I would like to use brass, but will that cause corrosion issues between the two metals, brass and stainless?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Well Pump hose barb question

        Originally posted by Jamey View Post
        Hello,
        I am getting ready to install a new 4" Submersible pump in an irrigation well. The pump will be submersed 40' deep. My question is that the pump outlet is stainless steel 1-1/2 NPT, and I need to adapt it down to a 1-1/4 hose barb for the 1-1/4 poly pipe. Is it acceptable to use a PVC bushing to reduce the 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 and then use a brass 1-1/4 hose barb? Should I use teflon tape on all the threads?
        I would prefer to use a 1-1/2NPT to 1-1/4 hose barb in stainless steel, but can't find one locally.
        Thanks
        Why not use a bass bushing? That should be readily available.

        PVC is prone to cracking and I've pulled many a pump that was hanging by wires due to PVC fittings.

        Personal I use a 1 1/4 male x 1 female check valve on every pump. On 1 1/2 outlets sometimes I can find a 1 1/2x1 1/4 but often make due with a line check.

        The check valve built into pumps are usually gravity operated with a metal on metal seal that easily fails with the smallest amount of grit.

        I do not use teflon in wells only recto seal.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Well Pump hose barb question

          Originally posted by Jamey View Post
          I would like to use brass, but will that cause corrosion issues between the two metals, brass and stainless?
          No.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Well Pump hose barb question

            Thanks for the help.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Well Pump hose barb question

              Just to clarify btw corrosion between stainless and brass can occur in theory.

              In my experience I've never seen any measurable corrosion between the two metals in a well pump industry and the pump manufactures never make mention of it as a known issue. Stainless steel pumps have a good 25 years in service now so even on pumps that old no issues.

              Brass and galvanized on the other hand. It sucks explaining to a customer the reason you had to pull a pump set 700 feet down after 3 years is because the hack the builder hired didn't know any better and used a brass line check on the galvanized well pipe. The imprints from the 5 story crane used to reach over the house because the builder also lacked the insight to leave access to where the well was behind the house doesn't help much either.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                The check valve built into pumps are usually gravity operated with a metal on metal seal that easily fails with the smallest amount of grit.
                .
                I wish I took your advise on this, as the internal check valve on the new pump is not working. Rather than pulling the pump, can I just put second check valve where the feed pipe comes into my garage before the pressure switch and tank? The pump is submerged 40', and then it runs about 75' from the pitless adapter to my garage. I'm only using it for irrigation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                  Originally posted by Jamey View Post
                  I wish I took your advise on this, as the internal check valve on the new pump is not working. Rather than pulling the pump, can I just put second check valve where the feed pipe comes into my garage before the pressure switch and tank? The pump is submerged 40', and then it runs about 75' from the pitless adapter to my garage. I'm only using it for irrigation.
                  Yes.

                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                    Thanks, to everyone, for their help so far!
                    Is there any benefit to having the check valve installed right at the pump? Also, for some reason, whoever plumbed the well into my garage decided to reduce the 1-1/4" poly pipe to a 1" PVC pipe, 4 feet underground, right before it enters the garage through the concrete slab floor. Do you think I will experience more pressure loss with the 1" check valve in the garage than the 1-1/4" valve at the pump?
                    I know the correct thing to do probably is run the 1-1/4" line all the way into the garage, but honestly I am tired of digging at the moment, and the garage is on a slab/no crawl space. It took me a few days of digging up my front yard to finally find the well cap, which turned out to be under my concrete driveway. Why people do things the way they do, I don't know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                      One inch pipe is perfectly fine, but check valves should be installed at the pump only. If you have problems with water running back, 9 times out of 10 it's not the check valve, it's electrolysis eating galvanized pipes or plastic pipes cracking. The check valve up top, just masks these problems and makes them worse.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                        You can get a brass or stainless 1 1/2 mips x 1" PE adaptor. I buy them by the case.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Well Pump hose barb question

                          Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                          One inch pipe is perfectly fine, but check valves should be installed at the pump only. If you have problems with water running back, 9 times out of 10 it's not the check valve, it's electrolysis eating galvanized pipes or plastic pipes cracking. The check valve up top, just masks these problems and makes them worse.
                          A second check valve installed at the pump fixed the problem. Thanks!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X