Moen Monticello Plastic Demon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen Monticello Plastic Demon

In my attempt to replace the cartridge to my Moen 4570 widespread faucet, I had to torch out the plastic retainer nut--this is after I wailed on it with a screwdriver and hammer for a bit, thus marring a significant amount of internal threading. I will probably be able to use a steel pipe to straighten some of it back out, after I finish scraping out all the plastic residue from the nut. My question is: will having imperfect internal threads affect the seal or performance of the faucet? If so, I'll save my parts money and buy a new faucet. A new valve is more expensive than refurbishing is worth, but if I can get away with buying a new retainer nut, which seems to come as part of the stem extension kit, I'll go that way.

Re: Moen Monticello Plastic Demon

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/Kodak%20Pictures/8-27-2010/100_0879.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Comment

You know moen has re designed this faucet more than once . I had a job were the home owner went to home depot an ordered all new trim and wanted me to change it out . We I could get it completely broken down . I then called moen explained what I had and they informed me that they had stopped production of one part and for this reason it will need to be replaced . Way to go moen way to leave your customers hanging. I would say rip it out while you still can so you don't have to cut it off with a sawzall . And go to a plumbing supply house and buy a Gerber that company Gerber only sells to supply houses so you know right off that they can not fund their company with mass junk product sales to big box stores . That's my advice.

Comment

Is this pipe too banged up to use?

Yes, Moen seems to have not made friends in the plumbing or DIY industry. From what I can see in the diagram, my valve is not available anymore. This means they, the salespeople at Moen, were trying to sell me the valve, part #1371, that goes on a different model of the 9000 set up. Could I even use that instead? This brings me back to my original question: is my pipe, picured above, to banged up for me to use? I'm sure that the cartridge will go in just fine, but will the fit of the retainer nut affect performance? If the threads are there just to hold in the nut, I figure I can save myself some time that I currently do not have and throw the thing back on with a couple of plastic replacement parts.

Comment

Its time to replace it
            Moen is on the bottom of my list

Comment

I had this similar problem with my Moen faucet, check out my thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21492

Comment

Re: Is this pipe too banged up to use?

Originally posted by acr View Post
                This brings me back to my original question: is my pipe, picured above, to banged up for me to use?
                Yes. It's toast. You're done. Cut your losses now. REPLACE IT.

Comment

Working...
                X