X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverting vent pipe?

Ripped out an interior bathroom wall only to find it was hiding the single vent pipe for the room. Pipe is 4" or 5" cast iron.

Two questions:

1) I don't mind having a half wall here to hide the toilet. Can I cut the pipe off a few feet above the floor, divert it two feet to the right, run up to the attic, and divert it back another 2 feet? So from the side, the pipe would have a "C" shape in the middle.

My impression is that this is fine so long as I keep the diameter large (will prob replace with PVC) and as long as I cut the pipe well above the standing water level of the toilet

2) I'm a little worried about distrurbing the 50 year old concrete tile roof. Is it likely that, when built, the cast iron vent was simply sticking through the roofline and the flashing etc was all built around it? From the roof I don't see any cast iron, just lead flashing... I realize this is more of a local question, my concern is that as soon as I cut a section out of the cast iron, the heavy top half will come crashing to the floor. Trying to understand if it'll bring anything else down with it.

It would not be impossible for me to leave the vent alone and build a wall (or a roman column, hahaha) around it, but seems like the relatively minor work here would be worth it asthetically.
    Last edited by Flot; 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM.

Re: Diverting vent pipe?

as long as you're 6'' above the toilet overflow, you can do just about anything with it.

out here, pre 1957 the toilet vents were a full 3''or 4''. not unusual to have a 2x6 wall behind the toilet. so now we can cut and reduce to 2'' so that we can eliminate the 2x6 wall.

the advantage of the 4'' vent comes when there's no cleanout and i go from the roof with my k-60

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick - you nailed it - was mysteriously in a 2x6 wall, (the only one in the house) so must be at least 4" pipe.

Any tips for the best way to cut the cast iron? My primary concern is avoiding any damage to the tile roof above it.

Comment

a snap cutter in the wall is difficult. i would go with a 4.5'' grinder with a cut off wheel and cut as much as you can. be very careful with the sparks and the grindings as they will ruin a tile floor if they land on it. use a sawzall to finish off the cut. either a 10tpi blade or the newer diamond chip blades.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

you will need to brace the vent in the attic. or it will be hanging on the flashing. breid......................

Comment

If you can, use 2 45's to make your offset, I would also use a riser clamp on the upper part of the pipe to keep it from falling:

Comment

Working...
            X