X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber Rick ... you out there?....

Thi is my first formal posting on this forum and I thought it wise to ask prior to purchase. I am a soon to be retiring homeowner in NYC resiging in the 80 year old 3-story house. Lived here going on 36 years and after moving in I too had major drain/sewage issues which was why I purchased via HomeDepot the Milwaukee model 0562 manual feed power snake along with the Rigid manual feed counterpart. At the time of purchase over 20 years ago auto feed homeowner type power snakes did not exist.

Christmas is coming up, wife is going to get my wish list and I thought it wise to ask if the newest Rigid K39AF is reliable especially the auto-feed mechanicals? Presently I favor the Milwaukee with it's manual chuck over the Rigid with it's horrible "push/pull" mechanicals to manually feed 5/16' cable when I snake. I occasionally help neighbors out on the block in return for pre-cooked meals. I'd like to purchase the K39AF (emphasis AF with it's auto feed and retract" then sell both the manual feed Milwaukee and Rigid. The forum states I should avoid at all costs the Rigid AutoClean at all costs since it is junk but the K39AF look's very reliable and dependable. Need your opinion prior to purchase.

Finally, I saw on of the lengthy posts/video series where you helps a SoCal homeowner with your K60...would love to get a K60 but it's overkill especially for a homeowner.

Re: Plumber Rick ... you out there?....

Rick's not up yet so please, allow me...
    Why don't you help keep a licensed plumber employed and spend your
    money on service calls, when needed? Just because the Borg sells drain
    cleaning equipment doesn't mean you're qualified to use them. As for
    selling your services to your neighbors, even if only for food, are you
    going to assume the liability when something goes awry? Hell no!!!
    This industry requires licensing for a reason.
    Last edited by Big Jim; 08-28-2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I'll tell you why Big Jim!

It's never a sin to save money especially when it's the every day tasks which just takes labor...ex: why call AAA when you can change your own flat with your spare?, why call a plumber when a faucet drip only requires a simple neoprene washer?, why call a plumber to swap out a ruptured diaphram on a Sloan Royal Flush valve when I can do it myself in 10 minutes or less?

I can understand the licensing part but like many homeowners who pride themselves doing the job themselves, the neat thing is it doesn't take a huge amount of brain matter to know a sluggish upstairs sink drains slowly is just a "local clog" simply because all the downstairs fixtures drain properly. Besides, the money I save is more money to buy my toys which in this case is probably a brand new Rigid K39AF

Comment

I wouldn't give the Ridgid Auto-Clean such a beatdown. I use mine a lot and it works great!

Comment

i too have my original milwaukee red steel drum drain cleaner with chuck. got it 35 years ago when i was 12. i've long retired it. my understanding is it's been discontinued.

have plenty of the k-39 series. you're correct in the slide chuck is a waste, although it might work when brand new, the grippers get tweaked and no longer grip.

have the k-39 with the chuck too. works great for being able to run the entire cable and retrieve cables that the slide chuck or auto feed model can't. plus you can power through any obstacle as it doesn't slip.

the k-39af is a good machine that i use in my everyday work. i don't use the slide chuck portion still built in. the nice feature is the ability to run the cable in and out while still maintaining a clockwise rotation. the older model only had a power feed 1 direction. you had to reverse the motor to retrieve. sometimes causing the catch to come loose.

the newest k-45 auto feed is basically the same front drum/ feeder. the power unit/ drill has been upgraded. this is great for guys that do drain cleaning for a living, as the motor brushes are replaceable. but for most diy, save the money and get the k-39af.

yes the k-60 would be the ultimate christmas gift, but then i would have to worry about you putting me out of business i too will work for food and milkshakes

so if you've had good luck with your older milwaukee and ridgid, you'll love the added speed of the k-39af. plus you don't get your hands dirty. but keep in mind, a 25' cable will only feed out about 20'. so i suggest to get the 5/16'' x 35' cable with bulb/ auger end. this will get you out approx. 30'.

you could get a k-50 with 5/8'' sectionals and get the drum kit. this will give you the ability to clean everything up to 4'' with minor roots. but this will be a large investment. unless you're planning to go into business

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, your opinions & postings are valued quite a bit especially for me. As you can probably guess I am not in the plumbing business but as a homeowner (retiring the next year or so) I go toy shopping at the Home Depot tool section quite a bit. This recent yearly maintainence snaking out all the drains was not exactly fun especially as I wanted to complete snaking all three (3) floors working top down....total of 7 sinks, 3 outside vents collecting from downspouts, and 3 tubs...ugh! Initially this was a non-event however on the basment level where I have a full bath the thrill was quickly wearing thin especially since the manually fed Milwaukee electric snake requires no more than 4-6 inches of cable be fed for each tightening of the chuck. Arms were killing me as I was on the tail end of the 6th drain. Anyway, right about then I thought a auto-fed model would be nice hence my post.

I also use the my old Milwaukee with 5/16-inch solid core cable on the main lines going out to the street. Before anyone starts yelling let me explain...I attach a 3 inch wide cutter to the solid core cable and run it back and forth feeding all 35 feet out of the Milwaukee. Maybe that's why I've never had a need to call plumbers ever for a stuck drains in the 36 years I've lived here. Getting long winded now but please continue your posts as I have read all of them on this Rigid Forum......Plumber Rick Rules!!!

Comment

I had a K39AF. I thought it was poorly made & designed. Had a $15.00 Harbor Freight drill attached to it, a drum that slings black water, and will bite your forearm easily.

And the drill will break. I won't even go round and round with those that love it. One thread here showed three people with damaged K39AF's that were not abused or that old if I recall.

The new K45AF may be better, but...same black-water-slinging-biting drum.

I have no advice for you. Your posts clearly show you do not know what you are doing. But you will never listen to me because you feel it's working.

And send some soap to Rick so he can get your ChapStick off of his pants.

J.C.

Comment

the black water you speak of jc is from lack of maintenance and proper storage. if all you do is bring in wet cables and never remove the outer drum and clean the inner drum, you will have not only a collection of nasty water, but a rusty cable that's useless.

i hate to think how many jobs i get from a 5/16'' ridgid cable before i replace it. and i usually get well over 10 cleanings before i even think about removing the inner drum to clean and dry.

the trick is to remove the cable and not store it in the drum. it literally takes 2 seconds to remove 25' of cable and 30 seconds to push it back in. this allows the cables to be air dried and not sit in a drum of muck. also allows me to pick and chose which cable to install for the next job.

as far as getting bitten by the 4 recessed drum screws, myself and others have brought it up both in person and on the forum several times. you get bit 1 time and readjust to know how to keep from getting bit. of course a little foam stuffed into the screw cut out will prevent it along with been there done that. you learn real quick the first time you get bitten by the drum.

although i have at least 10- assorted electric hand guns, i still only use the k-39 af with good results. i use to keep the k-39 with hand chuck and the k-39 with single power feed in the truck too. now it's only the k-39 af. if that can't get it, then it's the k-50 with 5/8'' sectional cable.

the reason why i let my p.m. fill up is so i didn't have to answer questions on a 1 on 1 basis. this way all the questions go to the forum and everyone can pitch in to help now i'm off to costco to buy some soap in bulk now i have phoebe to keep clean too
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  the black water you speak of jc is from lack of maintenance and proper storage.

Got this the FIRST time I used it. Working on a tub drain, had to go back & forth a few times, and slung it everywhere.

if all you do is bring in wet cables and never remove the outer drum and clean the inner drum, you will have not only a collection of nasty water, but a rusty cable that's useless.

i hate to think how many jobs i get from a 5/16'' ridgid cable before i replace it. and i usually get well over 10 cleanings before i even think about removing the inner drum to clean and dry.

the trick is to remove the cable and not store it in the drum. it literally takes 2 seconds to remove 25' of cable and 30 seconds to push it back in. this allows the cables to be air dried and not sit in a drum of muck. also allows me to pick and chose which cable to install for the next job.

as far as getting bitten by the 4 recessed drum screws, myself and others have brought it up both in person and on the forum several times. you get bit 1 time and readjust to know how to keep from getting bit. of course a little foam stuffed into the screw cut out will prevent it along with been there done that. you learn real quick the first time you get bitten by the drum.

Yep, you, I and many others have brought it up and how aggravating it is. And a new model has been introduced....with the same problem. Draw your own conclusions. This is a flaw I don't think people should have to adjust too.

although i have at least 10- assorted electric hand guns, i still only use the k-39 af with good results. i use to keep the k-39 with hand chuck and the k-39 with single power feed in the truck too. now it's only the k-39 af. if that can't get it, then it's the k-50 with 5/8'' sectional cable.

the reason why i let my p.m. fill up is so i didn't have to answer questions on a 1 on 1 basis. this way all the questions go to the forum and everyone can pitch in to help now i'm off to costco to buy some soap in bulk now i have phoebe to keep clean too
                  My PM stays full too. Stays around 397 to 400. I delete some once in awhile just in case someone or I myself need something. Doesn't mean anything that it stays full though.

I think if he's insistent to get a drill-snake he would be much better served with a General PowerVee.

http://www.drainbrain.com/pro/2powervee.html

J.C.

Comment

that general power vee is pretty much identical to the old ridgid k-39 auto feed of which i have a few and don't use them anymore. that auto feed requires you to run the motor in reverse to retrieve your cable. by doing so, you stand a good chance to loose your catch of hair. not to mention that with the new ridgid dual direction feeder, you can instantly go from feed to retrieve without going in reverse or stopping the machine.

plus i don't care for an aluminum drum that can dent and also oxidize, not to mention it will scratch a fixture if it rubs and it's a lot heavier than he ridgid unit.

i've yet to burn out a motor and i've done hundreds of cleanings with my current k-39. the k-45 is an improved motor design, but basically the same front end.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      that general power vee is pretty much identical to the old ridgid k-39 auto feed of which i have a few and don't use them anymore. that auto feed requires you to run the motor in reverse to retrieve your cable. by doing so, you stand a good chance to loose your catch of hair. not to mention that with the new ridgid dual direction feeder, you can instantly go from feed to retrieve without going in reverse or stopping the machine.

plus i don't care for an aluminum drum that can dent and also oxidize, not to mention it will scratch a fixture if it rubs and it's a lot heavier than he ridgid unit.

i've yet to burn out a motor and i've done hundreds of cleanings with my current k-39. the k-45 is an improved motor design, but basically the same front end.

rick.
                      And the old 39 drill was better than the current one.

Yes, you would have to run it in reverse to retrieve the cable with the drill and could lose what you grab. Or just pull it out by hand. Another thing to do.

I think I like the aluminum drum better. Seen them chunked around with no dents to detract performance. Never seen one badly oxidized or rusted out.

What's the weight difference?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I have owned the Super Vee, the Milwaukee, a Marco Pick-A-Pack, and various Ridgid hand-held units over the years and never cared for any of them. I would much rather use a canister with my K-50. That said I just found a brand new K-39 sitting in my building in Utah that's for sale.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I have owned the Super Vee, the Milwaukee, a Marco Pick-A-Pack, and various Ridgid hand-held units over the years and never cared for any of them. I would much rather use a canister with my K-50. That said I just found a brand new K-39 sitting in my building in Utah that's for sale.

Mark
                          I do not want it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I do not want it.

J.C.
                            I already knew you were too smart. You should buy a K-50.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              I already knew you were too smart. You should buy a K-50.

Mark
                              Got me thinking.....

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X