X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my tankless.

I installed a new tankless natural gas water heater last fall and discussed it on here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28719

I've just been looking over my utility bills , last year vs. this and found quite a savings. Now these figures are for natural gas used only for the hot water heater, as there was no heating at this time and we have no other gas appliances.

May 26th thru Aug 21st 2009
    72 CCF used $147.56

May 24th thru Aug 25th 2010
    34 CCF used $70.93

So that's showing a savings of about half and also would like to add that we've been very happy with the operation of the water heater as far as temperature and delivery of the hot water.

I guess we'll have to see what the future holds as far as reliability, etc. goes.

Re: Update on my tankless.

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
    I installed a new tankless natural gas water heater last fall and discussed it on here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28719

I've just been looking over my utility bills , last year vs. this and found quite a savings. Now these figures are for natural gas used only for the hot water heater, as there was no heating at this time and we have no other gas appliances.

May 26th thru Aug 21st 2009
    72 CCF used $147.56

May 24th thru Aug 25th 2010
    34 CCF used $70.93

So that's showing a savings of about half and also would like to add that we've been very happy with the operation of the water heater as far as temperature and delivery of the hot water.

I guess we'll have to see what the future holds as far as reliability, etc. goes.
    Thanks for the update. What kind of tank heater did you have before?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Thanks for the update. What kind of tank heater did you have before?

J.C.
      It was a 40 gal. A.O. Smith, about 15 yrs. old.

Comment

Have you been using the same amount of Hot Water? Traveling more, kids moved out, etc.?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Have you been using the same amount of Hot Water? Traveling more, kids moved out, etc.?

Thanks.

J.C.
          I would say the usage is about the same. It's just my wife and I in the house, with the grandkids over on some weekends.

Comment

I would say the usage is about the same. It's just my wife and I in the house, with the grandkids over on some weekends.
            Thanks. Just trying to figure it all out. All of the examples I've read or experienced show a savings of 3%-5%.

So your numbers immediately raise a red flag to me. (Not that I don't believe you. You've got the bills and are saving the money so.... I'm happy for you.)

Using your numbers, it costs you roughly $75.00 to only have a pilot light and burner maintaining temperature during this period. Seems high.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: I may be lost again. :(

Comment

Thanks. Just trying to figure it all out. All of the examples I've read or experienced show a savings of 3%-5%.

So your numbers immediately raise a red flag to me. (Not that I don't believe you. You've got the bills and are saving the money so.... I'm happy for you.)

Using your numbers, it costs you roughly $75.00 to only have a pilot light and burner maintaining temperature during this period. Seems high.

J.C.
              The numbers may also reflect the fact that I was very neglectful of maintaining the old water heater in it's later years. When we took it out, it was so clogged, it wouldn't even drain, we had to open the top and tip it over.

I'm sure it would be more fair to compare new tankless against new tank type and maybe then the numbers would be closer to the 3%-5%.

I wasn't really sure what to expect in savings, but just the idea of not having to keep the water hot, continuously, sounded good.

Comment

Glad it's working for you. And to be fair, I usually recommend or "side" with a tank for most applications. Not all though.

Which unit do you have installed?

J.C.

Comment

Glad it's working for you. And to be fair, I usually recommend or "side" with a tank for most applications. Not all though.

Which unit do you have installed?

J.C.
                  Rheem RTG-53DVN

Comment

Rheem RTG-53DVN
                    I've installed a similar Rheem in a similar situation. No callbacks and they seem to be happy also.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
                      The savings reflects no pilot light, no maintaining tank temp, but don't forget most importantly the differences in combustion efficiency which is about 20% more with a 82-84% efficient tankless.

A limed up tank could mean 30-50% difference.

I think the numbers look right on.

Comment

Quick Comparison

Heres a quick comparison based on new versus new (83% tankless vrs a standard tank)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Quick Comparison

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                          Heres a quick comparison based on new versus new (83% tankless vrs a standard tank)
                          If I'm reading it correctly, that table shows a savings of about $5.00 a month when using a tankless. And that appears to be one tankless.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

phil, your gas usage seem awful high for the 4 months of summer use.

my bill is only 2 to 3 therms a month. with the 2 of us. i'll see what happens when we start doing more laundry with phoebe

i can tell you my water usage went up as more water is wasted to get the water hot. a good 10 seconds is required to get up to temperature every time the heater fires up. plus doing laundry with a high efficiency washer is also a big waste as i need to leave the sink running to keep the washer filling with hot water.

i was at a customers apartment house yesterday. he has 2 tagagi jr heaters that are 7 years old. a few years ago 1 heater died and it cost him over $600 for a new circuit board installed. this was by the factory service center. $600 he could have installed a new tankless.

your savings are way different than my $5.00 a month savings.

all in all the tankless is a waste of my money.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Wow Rick I'm surprised that your usage is that low. I think we're pretty conservative in our use of hot water, e.i., we take short showers, wash clothes with warm water, etc. Our washer is right near the water heater, so delivery of the warm water is fast, also our bathrooms are fairly close so the lag to get hot water isn't bad. The kitchen sink is the farthest away, so that delay means wasting quite a bit of water before it's hot. I know there are circulators and such, but our water bill from our local is pretty reasonable, like $150 a year and we never go into excess.

Even with the tank type, there would always be a lag getting the hot water thru the pipe. I try to re-train myself not to expect to just walk up to a sink, turn on the faucet and expect it to be instantly hot, in other words, if you just want to rinse your hands, do it with cold.

Thanks for your reply Rick and like I said, "Time will tell" how happy we'll be with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X