X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewage pump - kickback

I turned the pumps on manually for that short video session. Also, all the pipe in there says 220psi @ 73*F SCH 40.

Comment

There's 2 pumps, but they alternate, never 2 at the same time.

Comment

To solve the water hammer from the check valves closing you need to install some sort of Spring Check valve. Also ensure the pipe is properly suppurted to handle the weight of the vertical pipe holding water.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
          I turned the pumps on manually for that short video session. Also, all the pipe in there says 220psi @ 73*F SCH 40.
          Your pipe is fine..it's solid core.

Comment

help me out as i'm not a pvc piper. i see what appears to be 2- 3'' ball valves, but i don't see any check valves

are they inside the pit and not readily accessible

i still believe if you move the checks higher up or possibly into the horizontal gravity line, your problem will be solved

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, i believe the check valves are right at the pumps in the pit. I will double check today and make sure as it's dark in there and even I had a hard time seeing yesterday. I will definitely will be bringing up all the good points that have been provided already and hopefully they will fix the problem. Thanks again for everyones suggestions!

Comment

Badabing - How old is the building?

Comment

Rick, i believe the check valves are right at the pumps in the pit. I will double check today and make sure as it's dark in there and even I had a hard time seeing yesterday. I will definitely will be bringing up all the good points that have been provided already and hopefully they will fix the problem. Thanks again for everyones suggestions!
                  With 3" pumps the check valves should be above pit lid about 1' to 2' feet my what I think the 3" should continue up for each pump seperatly and tie into a 4" x 3" DBL. Y with C/O. Thats one thing missing on main run no c/o. That will help reduce lbs. on check valves being piped seperatly and less force . good luck
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

check valves have to be serviceable. installing them inside the pit is not exactly considered serviceable. especially when there's an issue and the pit is full. the purpose of the ball valve is to isolate the pump and allow service of the check or pump.

the higher the check valve, the less backwash when shutting off.

now if they had a pump that was variable speed and would slow down and not just shut off, then there would be no slamming.

i don't know if such a pump exist, but if it doesn't, then it should and i should get royalties. show me the money

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

The building is 10yrs old.

Comment

IMO, both pump discharges, should be piped independently, up to the horizontal gravity section of piping & then wye installed there. Being wyed in on the vertical like that, if either check valve fails, you have big trouble. I also think the check valves should be moved to above pit cover, as a few others advised.Maybe better, or quiet check valves installed too.

Now the easiest thing I may suggest, is to use a solid piece of 1-1/2 or larger galv.pipe, & simply secure it vertically at top & bottom, to serve as a brace, then secure the pvc piping to it, with mineralaxe clamps, back to back, or whatever your heart desires. Just a suggestion, but don't know for sure if its feasible, at this job.
                        Last edited by Don the plumber; 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM.

Comment

The building is 10yrs old.
                          and passed a Plumbing inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            check valves have to be serviceable. installing them inside the pit is not exactly considered serviceable. especially when there's an issue and the pit is full. the purpose of the ball valve is to isolate the pump and allow service of the check or pump.

the higher the check valve, the less backwash when shutting off.

now if they had a pump that was variable speed and would slow down and not just shut off, then there would be no slamming.

i don't know if such a pump exist, but if it doesn't, then it should and i should get royalties. show me the money

rick.
                            unfortunatly I have already worked on a duplix 4" ejector pump station that the pit stays at a steady 2' deap and pumps run on VFDs and ramp up and down as water flow increases and slows down realy nice system at elmherst hospital the actual pumps are in dry well next to manhole and inside manhole where inlets to pumps are and sewers theres a grinder pump that constently runs chewing up every thing in pit just circulating sewer water in pit
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Just wanted to update you all. The problem seems to have been solved. We had plumbers come back, they ended up adding more bracing along the vertical portion and redirecting the pitch of the pipe (Which was facing the wrong way, causing more water to flow back). Those few things seemed to reduce, but not eliminate the problem. The bang was still there, and noticeably. They then came back, drilled one hole in each pipe in the pit about 3/8 or 1/2" and that has eliminated any shock, bang, rattle sound. There is absolutely no kickback at all. Thank you for all your suggestions, and I did pass them on, and i believe the drilling a hole in the pipe was one of them as well. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X