Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

An issue with snaking Need advise

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • An issue with snaking Need advise

    Hello !
    Let me start off by saying I am new here first post .
    I am 25 and been into plumbing since I got a hold of a wrench ..

    Now the issue .
    Bathroom:I snaked a bathroom "1 1/4 brass"
    I took off the trap and started going at it .
    I got out some muck and hair and the clog is still there
    It's a pretty big clog .
    I have a 25' foot snake and I reached the y in the main .
    The y has a plug .
    I was thinking that the clog is at the y cause it stopped there and that's pretty much the only place it would get clogged
    I am still green fellas so easy I'm only 3 years in .
    Ive done this dozens of times and this is the first .
    I have the Ridgid K-45AF-5 with AUTOFEED Drain Gun.
    Any thoughts I don't wanna buy a longer line if I don't need it .don't have a snake cam
    Thank you in advanced for your help
    HH

  • #2
    Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

    is the line 1.25'' all the way to the wye? or is it 1.5''.

    remember that the k-39/ k-45 will not feed all the cable out. so unless you have a 35' cable, you're not getting to 25'. typically there needs to be approx. 7' of cable left in the drum to allow it to grab and feed.

    also running water will help wash the stoppage away while you snake it.

    welcome to the forum

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

      It turns into 1.5 before the wye .
      I tried hot water while running the snake .
      Your correct !not a full 25'.
      I must of snaked it 4 times .but the clog remains .
      Thanks for the input Rick .
      If you have any more knowledge please let me know .

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

        Originally posted by Newpl View Post
        It turns into 1.5 before the wye .
        I tried hot water while running the snake .
        Your correct !not a full 25'.
        I must of snaked it 4 times .but the clog remains .
        Thanks for the input Rick .
        If you have any more knowledge please let me know .


        i would think you need a longer cable. 4 times should have cleared it in a small bore line. any other fixtures plugged?

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

          I wil get a longer line.
          And no other issues with the other fixtures .
          I snaked them as well they went pretty easy
          Thank you .
          I will update soon .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

            Originally posted by Newpl View Post
            Hello !
            Let me start off by saying I am new here first post .
            I am 25 and been into plumbing since I got a hold of a wrench ..

            Now the issue .
            Bathroom:I snaked a bathroom "1 1/4 brass"
            I took off the trap and started going at it .
            I got out some muck and hair and the clog is still there
            It's a pretty big clog .
            I have a 25' foot snake and I reached the y in the main .
            The y has a plug .
            I was thinking that the clog is at the y cause it stopped there and that's pretty much the only place it would get clogged
            I am still green fellas so easy I'm only 3 years in .
            Ive done this dozens of times and this is the first .
            I have the Ridgid K-45AF-5 with AUTOFEED Drain Gun.
            Any thoughts I don't wanna buy a longer line if I don't need it .don't have a snake cam
            Thank you in advanced for your help
            HH
            I would have to agree with Rick on longer cable but to get off the cable part how long have you had your K-45 AF and do you like it only cause I have had one for about 6 mounths and am very happy with mine thanks and good luck
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

              I like it a lot , ive had it for about 2 weeks never had a issue with it .
              Thanks .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                Didnt say befor I wasnt thinking but I do beleve that the 50' of 5/16" cable with drope head will fit in drum C-22
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                  Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                  Didnt say befor I wasnt thinking but I do beleve that the 50' of 5/16" cable with drope head will fit in drum C-22
                  Yeah I got that lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                    Okay second time .
                    I had to snake it from the main its 1 1/2 gunk and hair . Started to drain out but stopped and its still clogg main .
                    I hate that pipe .
                    I tried snaking it from the basin and it's a no go it goes about 4 feet the nothing .
                    Any idea ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                      Originally posted by Newpl View Post
                      Okay second time .
                      I had to snake it from the main its 1 1/2 gunk and hair . Started to drain out but stopped and its still clogg main .
                      I hate that pipe .
                      I tried snaking it from the basin and it's a no go it goes about 4 feet the nothing .
                      Any idea ?
                      Only 4 feet in?

                      You might be in a double sanitary tee. Is there a second sink in the bathroom or a lavy on the other side?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                        Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Only 4 feet in?

                        You might be in a double sanitary tee. Is there a second sink in the bathroom or a lavy on the other side?
                        No bath room on the other side .
                        This bath only has a sink and a toilet .
                        The owner said they was cleaning there crap in the sink?
                        Grout ,paint bushes . The grout I took out in the first day I was there .it was in the trap.
                        And it's odd. perhaps it because I work mostly in apartments .
                        But the pipe is cast iron when I take off the trap ect . With a brass adaptor . I know why the guy did it .
                        The photos listed below is what I'm talking about same clogged pipe but in the basement .
                        I cut the second wye to the left to get into the pipe all the way on the righ and just put 2" - 1" 1/2 funkos on ..
                        Now stuff is comming out like mud hair .which is always a good sign all the water is build up in that pipe.
                        Now I know your going to say harry wtf did you cut there !
                        Reason:
                        There's is a plug but its lock tight on there , and won't budge .
                        Tried putting my 2 footer on the and hitting with a hammer . Nothing not a inch .

                        So what to do ?






                        Last edited by Newpl; 09-05-2010, 08:13 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                          where do you think the 4' is at? is it at the wall in the san tee and doesn't make the turn dow? or did you pull the trap and feed the snake down the san tee?

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                            Yes I took off the trap and snaked it from there , that was in the bathroom .
                            And when I snake it from the basement it stops at the blockage at that wye all the way on the right .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: An issue with snaking Need advise

                              what head is on your cable? i have a lot better luck with the arrow head from general(drain brain) than the bulb heads that most people use. what makes you think you got ALL the tile grout? my guess that you haven't. if you have a slug of stuff that is hardened with grout, well you will be older than me by the time you get through that with a bulb head. have fun. breid..................

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X