X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler toilet flapper

Hi, Kolher Mdl#4620 S57 I am on my 3rd OEM flapper and they all leak it is the blue flapper not sure of the part # seat of valve is angled and it look's as though the flapper does not completely line up on one edge of the seat.any suggestions short of replacing the whole assembly would be apprecicated.

Thanks

Re: Kohler toilet flapper

4620... that's a wellworth?

They used to have flappers, now come with towers, yours must be a few years old to have a flapper.

Never had any trouble with them. I like fluidmaster flappers. Since yours seems to not be seating quite right,
    - is there something going on with the ears on the overflow tube that the flapper hooks to so that it is not lining up correctly?
    - is there a burr or something similar on the hard plastic surface the flapper mates to preventing it from sealing?

you say it's an oem flapper, so I doubt this is it, but I'll mention it anyway; many replacement flappers have both holes to hook on the ears on the overflow tube AND come with a ring molded into them to slip down an overflow w/o the ears. If you overflow has the ears, you need to cut out the molded in ring and the rubber across the back of the flapper or it won't open and close correctly (IE don't use BOTH attachment features).
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

didn't research the part #, but if it is a wellworh toilet it's either a pre 1990 or a post 1990 model/ low flow toilet.

the pre 1990 3.5gpf toilet used a flapper that was ball shape. the 1.6gpf post 1990 was a plastic flapper with a sealing ring. aka a certein flapper with blue foam float. these have long been replaced by the blue rubber low flow flapper with blue foam float and the newer replacement is the fluidmaster low flow red flapper.

post a photo of the inside of the tank and see if it's a 1.6gpf.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It is a 1.6 for sure as it is labeled as such it does have the blue float, any idea on the Fluidmaster part#? I have tried a Korky and it was even worse. I have checked the valve seat etc.

Comment

fluidmaster makes 2 styles of low flow adjustable flappers. one has the chain with a foam float. i've had problems with those not because of the flapper, but how they were packaged. they packaged them with the chain clip fastened on the flapper seal that left a permanent scar on the sealing surface of the flapper. therefore none of the dozens i have will seal

the better design are the ones that have the plastic hinge assembly and use a red disc that you rotate from min-max flow. very simple to adjust by rotating. seems to be available h.d. and other hardware stores. make sure to leave just a couple chain links of slack.

use food coloring or the fluidmaster blue dye pill to check for leaks.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I always rip out the blue flapper with foam float, and put in the blue Lavelle flapper, which is basically the same thing without the float. I got sick and tired of my customers saying they "hated" they flush with the foam float.

I find the lavelle's work best on Kohlers and Sterling toilets.

Comment

Working...
            X