X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hot water smells

We are on a well ..have the same type of problem .. hot water smells like rotten egg .. sulpher dioxide ... Our well water is very hard, has lots of iron and we have a water softner. We have a rental hot water tank (electric). The old hot water tank was fine for 15 years, then it developed a leak. It was replaced and within a week, we had the bad smells ..in the hot water only .. It seems that it is the anode which gives off the gas or helps to do that as it slowly disintegrates. The old tank must not have had any anode rod left. The rental people sent a guy with ( he said) a different anode rod ( aluminum zinc) it doedsthe same thing, smells. I'd like to remove the anode rod but it's not my tank. So, what we do is, turn off power to tank. turn off water supply to hot water tank at the tank. Then we connect a hose ( 1/2 inch or so diameter) to the pressure relief valve and pour a quart of javex or chlorine into the tank through that hose with the bottom drain valve open until all the chlorine goes into the tank. We close the valves, turn on the water supply and power and run all taps in the house until air stops coming out. We have to do that about once a month or so. I suggest you dilute that quart of javex/chlorine with water in case you slop some onto your clothing. Place smells like an indoor swimming pool. griin

Comment

The logical side of me says how on earth is renting a water heater efficient? Wouldn't it be better to just buy your own so you don't have to deal with their limitations.

The little devil on my shoulder says screw it, it's a rental, pull the anode rods completely out. Who cares if it shortens the life. When it starts leaking put them back in and play dumb.

Comment

Me play dumb ..no way !! ..I don't hafta play at that ..it comes naturally ...;-)

Ya I shud get rid of the rental .. will do soon, contract runs out soon

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          You have to chlorinate the whole system from source to tap on the hot and cold side or it will come back. And sometimes it seems to come back if you do it perfect.

Get in a circle with family members around a bonfire and chant.

Good luck.

J.C.
          Stop it I carn`t stop laughing I'll have a heart attach.

Tony

Comment

Working...
          X