hot water smells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water smells

Hi yall, I have a cabin on the lake in Oklahoma. I am having a problem with my hot water having a bad smell. It is hard to describe the smell ,but it is enough to make me concerned. Bacteria? maybe? We are on a rural water line and they say water is good .
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    thanks, Huck

Re: hot water smells

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
    Hi yall, I have a cabin on the lake in Oklahoma. I am having a problem with my hot water having a bad smell. It is hard to describe the smell ,but it is enough to make me concerned. Bacteria? maybe? We are on a rural water line and they say water is good .
    thanks, Huck
    Bacteria is one possibility. First try bleaching. Find some way to introduce bleach at the start of the system. If you have a whole house cartridge or something that's the easiest way. Run all the faucets hot and cold till you smell bleach. Let sit overnight. Flush out the bleach the next morning. Regardless of the source that will often kill the odor.

If the odor comes back within a few days in the hot water only the next think to look into is the anode rods in the hot water tank. You'd want to get alternate rods that are available from the manufacturer.

Comment

Had a customer with a jacuzzi tub that would smell from the water left in the piping. Found that an epsom salt mixture would do the trick running it through the system with the pump on. Of course I don't know too many people that drink their bath water but it might take a little longer to flush from a hot water heater.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I contacted the manufacturer and they said pretty much what u have said Boytyperanma. Flush the system with bleach and if that smell continues i should install a stainless steel anode rod. Will see if i can find one at plumbing supply house.
        Thank you for your response as well Rookie Plumber. I did think about the epsom salts mixture, but bleach is probably better in this case.

Huck

Comment

We have a customer who's water heater "eats" anode rods left and right, and we can't solve the problem for long term.

She shares a well with the neighbor across the street and her home is a modular home, with no room at all to put any type of water treatment system.

The last time we worked on it a few years ago, we finally took out the anode rod (after many replacements), and have not heard from her since. We know the water is eventually going to eat her water heater tank, but there is nothing else we can think of to stop it.

It's the weirdest situation I've ever been involved in.

Comment

When the time comes....no anode in this one at all.

http://www.marathonheaters.com/

J.C.

Comment

thanks, Huck
              You have to chlorinate the whole system from source to tap on the hot and cold side or it will come back. And sometimes it seems to come back if you do it perfect.

Turn the water heater off.
              Run the water on the hot side 'til it gets cold.
              Chlorinate the whole system. From source to all taps. Hot and cold. And let sit for 24 hours.
              Replace anode with Magnesium based anode.
              Get in a circle with family members around a bonfire and chant.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

J.C. I am thinking about a whole house filtration system.Think it maybe easier to chlorinate the whole system, fill the filter canister with chlorine ,open valve in goes the chlorine. Maybe do this two or three times to get enough chlorine in the system?
                Good idea? Thanks for the response.

Huck.

P.S.
                No chanting allowed.
                Last edited by huckster4; 09-07-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  We have a customer who's water heater "eats" anode rods left and right, and we can't solve the problem for long term.

She shares a well with the neighbor across the street and her home is a modular home, with no room at all to put any type of water treatment system.

The last time we worked on it a few years ago, we finally took out the anode rod (after many replacements), and have not heard from her since. We know the water is eventually going to eat her water heater tank, but there is nothing else we can think of to stop it.

It's the weirdest situation I've ever been involved in.

Flux, J.C. may have your problem solved with that poly tank. I won't know what condition the anode rod is in till i get back their. Hopefully the chlorine will fix my problem. Thanks for the input.

Huck.

Comment

J.C. I am thinking about a whole house filtration system.Think it maybe easier to chlorinate the whole system, fill the filter canister with chlorine ,open valve in goes the chlorine. Maybe do this two or three times to get enough chlorine in the system?
                    Good idea? Thanks for the response.

Huck.
                    There are "Chlorinators" which operate automatically that can be installed if necessary. Just like any treatment system though, they have to be calibrated for what is going on to give you what you want at the right efficiency.

I'd recommend a full test on the system for mineral and biological content before installing any kind of treatment system.

You have to know what's in it to treat it. Else you may treat for the wrong thing and just be wasting your time and money.

But if you just want to chlorinate one time you do it at the point of source. NOT at where it comes in the structure. And you make an estimate for the amount to put in or it can smell like pool water for a week.

A licensed well contractor or plumber might be in order. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Flux, J.C. may have your problem solved with that poly tank. I won't know what condition the anode rod is in till i get back their. Hopefully the chlorine will fix my problem. Thanks for the input.

Huck.
                      Yea I saw his link...I'm going to pass this information onto my customer. I just have to figure out what supply house can bring this water heater in for me when the time comes. I can't wait to see the price tag on this water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Yea I saw his link...I'm going to pass this information onto my customer. I just have to figure out what supply house can bring this water heater in for me when the time comes. I can't wait to see the price tag on this water heater.
                        Double or more of regular. But no smell and lifetime tank warranty.

J.C.

Comment

How old is the water heater? Have you attempted to change the anode rod? Sometimes a bad rod causes a rotten egg smell. Hope that helps.
                          Have a nice weekend.

Comment

be sure you get an element wrench with it, and a couple of spare elements, this one takes a different size element, and unlike the sandhog it doesn't take a normal element wrench.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Double or more of regular. But no smell and lifetime tank warranty.

J.C.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              be sure you get an element wrench with it, and a couple of spare elements, this one takes a different size element, and unlike the sandhog it doesn't take a normal element wrench.
                              Tell my customers the same thing. Good information I forgot to mention.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X