Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

No gas lines under structure -- does sidewalk count?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gas lines under structure -- does sidewalk count?

Old house with obvious signs that at one time the detached garage had been made into (illegal) living quarters (can still make out the footprint of a toilet on the garage floor ).

When this "improvement" was done, water and gas were run 40' from the house to the back of the garage, and then a concrete sidewalk was poured over the lines (lines are buried about 12" below the sidewalk). Is this okay, or does it fall under "no gas lines under structures"? I'd like to use the hookup to put the washer and gas dryer in the garage, but I'm wondering if the existing gas line needs to be disconnected and a new line run outside the sidewalk.

Also, both the gas and water appear to have been routed up through the footing/"stem wall" (footing comes about 4" above the garage floor/exterior grade). Same question - is this okay, or another reason to abandon the existing line and run new?
    Last edited by JeffeVerde; 09-08-2010, 12:11 PM.

Re: No gas lines under structure -- does sidewalk count?

Well here in MD , the water has to be 3' minumun with a 5' seperation between other utilities..Elec, gas etc. Thats just here though. Also I would make sure everythinfg is properly sleeved where all penetrations are made . You might want to test the gas line to make sure it has no leaks as well..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

you live in azusa/ the best of everything from a-z in the usa

did some dorms back in 1994 at azusa pacific university. nice campus long drive

gas at 12'' is fine. the gas under an exterior walkway is fine. the theory is when the line leaks, they want it to vent outside. under a slab of a structure the gas will pool and make it into the structure posing a danger.

if it has to run under a structure, it needs to be sleeved and vented at both ends.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        gas at 12'' is fine. the gas under an exterior walkway is fine. the theory is when the line leaks, they want it to vent outside. under a slab of a structure the gas will pool and make it into the structure posing a danger.
        Thanks Rick. I figured that was the rationale, but wanted to be sure.

Comment

Working...
        X