Reducing 3/4 connection to 1/2 results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing 3/4 connection to 1/2 results

I am installing a point of service (tankless) water heater in my outdoor kitchen. I want to use the Bosh GL-6+ model which will supply approx 7 gallons of hot water.

I also T'd off to outdoor shower that will be used just to rinse off.

I have run a 1/2 PVC water line BUT the GL-6+ model has a 3/4 inch in and out connection. I know I can reduce this to 1/2 to connect to the piping.
    How will reducing this effect the supply of water to the heater?

Will there be enough water supply?

They have a 4.0 Gallon GL-04 model that does have 1/2 inch in and out connections but it will prouduct about 2 gallons of less water and I would rather use the 6+ gallon model because I will have more hot water and it is only $40.00 more in cost.

Please advise me if you think reducing the connection from 3/4 to 1/2 will create a problem?

i just found this forum and this is my first post of what I am sure will be more later on.l

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by TGMcCallie; 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM. Reason: Did not edit after all. I did not know if I checked to get e-mail replies.

Re: Reducing 3/4 connection to 1/2 results

Why reduce at the heater.Personally I would keep 3/4" atleast till I got to the first fixture and then go 3/4" x 1/2" X 1/2 " to the shower but thats just me ..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Its not how i would have done it ...
      With that said with just a sink and one shower head you wont see much difference in the flow

Comment

How long is the 1/2" supply run and what is the pressure

Comment

1/2 line is connected at the 1/2 inch line that comes from the sprinkler meter. Altogether, I guess it is bout 100 feet.

We have tremendous water pressure especially at night but I have it reduced on my regular meter line and also on the irrigation meter line but don't know how much the pressure is reduced to.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Why reduce at the heater.Personally I would keep 3/4" atleast till I got to the first fixture and then go 3/4" x 1/2" X 1/2 " to the shower but thats just me ..

The line going to the heater is the 1/2 inch line. I installed it prior to deciding to put in the hot water tankless heater so now it is under the new concrete and I can not change the supply line.

I wanted to know if it would cut down the pressure much if I use a reducer at the heater becuse the heater has 3/4 connections in and out. I would have to use a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer coming out of and going into the heater due to the fract that i have the 1/2 inch line burried under concrete.

Tom

Comment

Tom,

First of all, the water heater you're looking at, the Bosch GL-6+, is not a tankless unit. It's a tank type heater with a small tank.

Assuming you have a regular shower head and not some super high-flow rain head, you should be fine. Your run of 100' of 1/2 pvc is long, but the easiest thing to do is simply try it. Connecting the heater up is a five-minute proposition.

The 1/2 inch pipe connections really are not your problem... going to the 4 gallon model with 1/2 pipe inlet & outlet will not help. The issue is not the connections on the water heater or the adapter you would need to install it, it's the 100 feet of 1/2" you have as a supply line. But I would bet it will be ok.

The problem you ARE going to have is that the mini tank heater is going to run out of hot water after about a five or six minutes of showering. Not so good if you have a load of people getting into or out of the pool or spa....

I use one of those mini-tanks for instant hot water inside the house (not a fan of the recirculating systems) and it has been great.

Outside, I have a Titan tankless electric dedicated to the outdoor shower. It was an inexpensive unit ($200), required electrical wiring, GFI etc., mounting in a protected dry location - all of which added to the cost. BUT... it never runs out of hot water no matter how many folks need to use it.

Comment

Working...
              X