X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about new heating system

I live in the Northeast US. I am in a 3 floor townhouse with about 2200 sqft total finished space. The unit came with a 25 year old 80,000 btu input Valliant boiler and separate hot water tank. Both gas fired.
    I am thinking of changing both and going to a wall hung boiler with an indirect tank. Would someone please let me know if this is the right way to go and if so, what system would you recommend.
    There's only 2 people in the house, 1 shower, 4 sinks, HE washing machine, dishwasher and 1 American Standard 60 gal jacuzzi. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Question about new heating system

Take a look at the Triangle Tube Prestige. Combo unit- boiler & water tank in one. A real space saver and pretty sweet unit. 96% efficient and qualifies for the tax credit.

2nd option is Slantfin Bobcat with indirect heater.

Comment

This is one area we don't get involved in, unless it's a traditional boiler. But my neighbor has a Buderus logamax, and it's pretty interesting to say the least.

Quite a few manufactures for you to explore.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I do know there are quite a few combinations I can get but I'm just not quite sure how the newer technology will work. I do want to try and get something that won't start giving me trouble within the first few years. The old boiler I have has run well for the last few years and hasn't had any problems. I just want to try and get something more efficient.

Comment

http://www.munchkinboiler.net/
          these are great little boilers my brother has one with 40 gal indirect water tant for hot water and you can run both showers at same time and not run out of hot water P.S. he lives in N.H. so it can handle the cold temps.
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I have done some research on some of the boilers that have been listed here. It seems I find a lot of bad reviews on pretty much all the newer technology. The one thing that does seem to show up now and then is that more problems arise from installers who are not really familiar with the unit they are installing. I'm guessing that the best way to have fewer problems is to match the boiler with the installer - how many have you put in before and what's the failure rate.

Comment

Originally posted by RickC6 View Post
              I have done some research on some of the boilers that have been listed here. It seems I find a lot of bad reviews on pretty much all the newer technology. The one thing that does seem to show up now and then is that more problems arise from installers who are not really familiar with the unit they are installing. I'm guessing that the best way to have fewer problems is to match the boiler with the installer - how many have you put in before and what's the failure rate.
              The Munchkin Boiler was installed when he had the house built 10 years ago and no real problems he loves it and is planing on building a 2 car deatachted garage[not a good speller thats why I am a plumber] so on and he is going to have it heated with in floor radient heat and he wants another munchkin but I have never put one in But next year when we build that will change I didnt plumb the house cause I live in the {$hitcago} area. or also the chicago area
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by RickC6 View Post
                Every manufacture is going to have bad reviews of some sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Every manufacture is going to have bad reviews of some sorts.
                  I think the reason I'm seeing more bad reviews is because most people who aren't having any problems don't feel the need to write about it. The people with the problems are mad and want to vent. It doesn't always mean the product is bad - just could have been installed incorrectly.
                  Time for more reading. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
                  X