X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to increase water flow

I bought a Neorest 550 toilet and the flush is too weak to clear the toilet. The manual says you need 20-80psi to work and the cause is likely low water pressure. I tested the pressure on the water hose outside and I got 60 psi. I tested the outlet near the toilet and got 30 psi. I did a water gallon test for 1 minute using the upstairs faucet and got 6.5 liters a minute. The city's website says I should be getting 15 liters per minute. The Neorest manual also says that if I were to do a test at the toilet outlet I should be getting 1.5 gallons or roughly 6 liters or more in 10 seconds. Even if I was able to get 15 liters per minute that would only work out to 2.5 liters every 10 seconds.

I'm wondering what my options are and what I can do to get the toilet to work. Any help is appreciated.

Re: How to increase water flow

Dude, you've got a $2500.00-$3,000.00 toilet?

J.C.

Comment

You can remove the PRV. (Bet you don't have one)

You can install a booster pump system.

But your best, longterm, best performing solution is to replace the toilet with a normal one. Original plumber should have known & recommended this in my book.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Yeah you're right I don't think I have a PRV. All I have is a gate that turns the water on or off inside the house. I was looking into replacing the line from the house to the city because I'm guessing it's built up some mineral deposits but I want to make sure that would change anything before I shell out on a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Supadupa View Post
          Yeah you're right I don't think I have a PRV. All I have is a gate that turns the water on or off inside the house. I was looking into replacing the line from the house to the city because I'm guessing it's built up some mineral deposits but I want to make sure that would change anything before I shell out on a solution.
          You need to know how old the line is, the material, distance, pressure at the meter, size of meter.

Or it can be a waste of time and money to consider replacing the water line.

J.C.

Comment

first place i would look is at the service and make sure the valve is open all the way. then i would most likely remove the toilet angle stop. with gal pipe the nipple is always corroded at the angle stop connection. or you could have a partial blockage at the flex line/ riser to the toilet.

if the rest of the bathroom is good, then the problem is very local.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

One thing that is a flag to me and "wrong" is you claim a 30 psi drop at this bathroom.

Unless there is a PRV that doesn't effect the hosebibbs, the pressure should be pretty much a constant equal.

J.C.

Comment

Agree with JC - when I read that you had 60psi at the hose bibs and only 30 in the bathroom, I assumed you must have a regulator.... or there is something wrong with the measurement... or the water was running when you measured. There will be some pressure change if the bathroom is on the second floor but nowhere close to 30 psi (that much pressure loss would take 70 feet of elevation change).

Rick's suggestion makes a lot of sense. If all else is working well, it's easiest to look at the stop valve. I had this problem (regular gravity toilet) and the tank took forever to refill. The good news is that if the valve is bad, it's an easy fix (unless you break off the pipe)... if the short horizontal sticking out of the wall is clogged, that's often pretty easy too. The vertical in the wall is less likely to be clogged than the horizontal or the stop valve.

Comment

Working...
                X