X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bad pressure reducing valve and are they easy to replace

I have a PRV installed outside with a faucet located right above it. When the faucet is turned on the water pulsates out. Also, when more than one faucet/toilet/shower is turned on inside, water flow is reduced out of them all with a pulsating noise reverberating through the pipes. Once the toilet is filled or the faucets turned off = no noise. Tried venting the air by turning off the main water valve and opening all of the faucets, but the flow and noise issues are still there. The only "faucet" that I didn't turn on after shutting off the main water valve was the water heater drain valve. Does it sound like a a bad PRV? If you need additional details to help me diagnose, please let me know. If it's bad, is it easy to replace (accessibility is NOT an issue), but if not, how much should a plumber charge to replace the PRV ( I live in Southern California). Any help appreciate. THANKS!

Re: Is it a bad pressure reducing valve and are they easy to replace

Your having what sounds like a water hammer issue, it could be a bad prv or if you have pulsation damper (aka. water hammer arrestors or hydropneumatic device) could be bad or you may need one installed. If this has been an ongoing issue the pressure and the line size can have a substantial effect on this issue as well.

This one could be a number of things and there are several plumbers in the southern California area that frequent this sight so be sure to check back tonight. I would take their opinions over mine any day since I don't do plumbing anymore. I am sure one of them can help you or recommend some one in your area that can help you.

Dan Lawrence

Comment

Thanks Dan!

Comment

Originally posted by latrotoxin View Post
        Thanks Dan!

No prob latrotixin. That does not rhyme, you need change your name to Bob.

Comment

i would say its the prv, water hammer usually only occurs on "quick acting valves" ie urinal, toilet flush ometers or in infa red sinks with an infa red senser. the seat in the prv may be worn or dum der busted and thats creating the noise (the seat fluttering up and down) as water passes by it.

hope we helped

if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

oh sorry, and to replace them is quite easy, usually they have a union on one side and you may only have to use a couple couplings and a small piece of material (copper,pex...)
            if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

If there is fluctuations in pressure along with the noises then my guess would be the PRV.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
              X