X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex lines for toilets

Guys - had a quick question about the flex lines used to connect the supply to the toilet tanks. Have any of you come across these springing a leak at the toilet tank connection.

The reason for my question is that one of these sprang a huge leak in one of my nieghbors house about 2 weeks ago. In a matter of minutes the house was flooded and a lot of fixing going on right now. This prompted another neighbor to change all the hoses to his toilets.

My question was - are these hoses likely to spring such a leak or could this have been an isolated incident by maybe the original installer not tighening the nut properly.

Re: Flex lines for toilets

Was it the hose or the nut at the toilet tank connection. I have seen many braided stainless steel supply lines that failed due to spray on bathroom cleaners. The stainless braids will actually get eaten away until the rubber inside starts to push it's way out. A good way to check your braided stainless connectors (this includes laundry hoses) is to simply run your hand up and down them a couple of times. If they are starting to go you will know it as it will stab your hand.
    I always felt that supply lines had a life expectancy and suggested to my customers that they be replaced for the entire house every eight years.

Comment

To my understanding it was the nut. But the info is unclear - my neighbor is not a plumber and once they turned the water off some plumbers were called to fix the immidiate issue and possibly they told my neighbor this. He says apprently a plastic washer had failed in the nut assembly. I've not taken out the toilet hose before so I'm not sure what's in there. Can the nut assembly suddently fail to the point of causing major flooding in a matter of minutes.

To compound the matter further his mother apprently was cleaning the bathroom when this happened. So there is a train of thought that she (an older lady) could have done something to cause it to come apart. Of course she had no idea how to turn the water off so she went and called some other neighbors who came and shut the water off but by then there had been flooding.

Comment

If plastic nuts are over tightenen they can crack and cause a leak. The plastic nuts should only be hand tightened.

Comment

PEX line, brass shank, brass nut, no callbacks, longterm performance.

J.C.

Comment

I have never had problems with flex supply lines because I have never and would never even consider such an abomination.
            sigpic

Comment

Can someone explain to me the advantage of the brass shank Fluidmaster again?

Every time I think about ordering a case of them, I think about problems with the normal Fluidmaster. I only remember once in the last eleven years seeing a problem with a plastic shank on a Fluidmaster valve. I'd say that is a pretty good record, so I just keep sticking with the plastic shank version.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post

Every time I think about ordering a case of them, I think about problems with the normal Fluidmaster. I only remember once in the last eleven years seeing a problem with a plastic shank on a Fluidmaster valve. I'd say that is a pretty good record, so I just keep sticking with the plastic shank version.
                I have encountered a couple with hairline cracks that would leak. I don't recall anything crazily overtightened on them either.

The brass shank ones don't cost me that much more. I spend the few bucks for the piece of mind.

Honestly, the plastic probably does have a decent track record and would last past any liability limitations.

I do think the shank, shank nut, & supply nut should all be of good brass. This is good plumbing....but is not necessarily good business. Every other large multimillion or billion dollar company wants "designed failure" these days.

J.C.

Comment

Well here's the thing that's puzzling me - let's say the the plastic nut assembly did develop a crack. I would have thought you would just get a drip or some moisture - not a flow of water at supply pressure which is what happened.

On the PEX lines _ don't recall seeing any locally but then again I have not specifically looked. Do you make your own with PEX hose and fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post

funny you mentioned this. i was involved in the marketing research discussion panel of this particular ballcock. the reasoning is it's the pro model and only sold to plumbers, not home centers.

the only fluidmasters i come across that had a cracked shank were the factory installed kohler ones. apparently the pneumatic torque wrench was not calibrated properly took years to finally surface.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      Well here's the thing that's puzzling me - let's say the the plastic nut assembly did develop a crack. I would have thought you would just get a drip or some moisture - not a flow of water at supply pressure which is what happened.

On the PEX lines _ don't recall seeing any locally but then again I have not specifically looked. Do you make your own with PEX hose and fittings.
                      I've seen the nut split around the circumference. About a half circle. In the right situation it would spray like he!!.

3/8" PEX supplies with already formed heads on them are available.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        funny you mentioned this. i was involved in the marketing research discussion panel of this particular ballcock. the reasoning is it's the pro model and only sold to plumbers, not home centers.

the only fluidmasters i come across that had a cracked shank were the factory installed kohler ones. apparently the pneumatic torque wrench was not calibrated properly took years to finally surface.

rick.
                        Fluidmaster sells to the supply house that sells to the homeowner.

I've contemplated the brass as well.

haven't bought any

Comment

Just to throw in one from downunder. You guys are right with the cleaning chemicals. I had one years ago which was underneath the basins and was enclosed by a removable panel. One problem was lock-up pressure could exceed 130psi and that was in the daytime as well. Have to limit the pressure to 500kpa / 7-psi max. Also need to give the nut on the flexi-hooler a small tweek. Unfortunately there are still some hookers around with fibre washers which are crap but most of theew ones have cone shaped rubber compounds which are great. Tweek theut as movement can loosen and leak

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            Just to throw in one from downunder. You guys are right with the cleaning chemicals. I had one years ago which was underneath the basins and was enclosed by a removable panel. One problem was lock-up pressure could exceed 130psi and that was in the daytime as well. Have to limit the pressure to 500kpa / 7-psi max. Also need to give the nut on the flexi-hooler a small tweek. Unfortunately there are still some hookers around with fibre washers which are crap but most of theew ones have cone shaped rubber compounds which are great. Tweek theut as movement can loosen and leak
                            Just realized I don't know anything about plumbing.

J.C.

Comment

there was a flex line supplier that was called "ez hooker"

there's a insikerator warranty service company out here called "hookers"

had some explaining to do when joey looked at my phone

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X