X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for concealing a sanitary cleanout

I'm in the process of planning my basement remodel, and have a challenge. I'm not a plumber, so please bear with me.

Coming vertically down one wall is a sanitary PVC line, probably 6 inches in diameter. While this can be concealed by the studs, what happens right above the floor cannot. This line comes into a wye's 45, and this wye continues under the concrete floor a good 2 feet from the wall. Looking down on the wye, there is a cleanout cap and a smaller (2 inch?) capped stub teed where the 45 and the vertical line join.

One thought is to build a short built-in "table" that would be suitable for a lamp. The cover could be removed to access the cleanout. This is probably the least expensive option, but isn't terribly functional. However, it can be styled to flow with the rest of the room very well.

Another thought is to install some sort of kitchen sink. This would have a cabinet base wide enough to conceal the cleanout, and I could put a single bay sink on one half and have a small countertop on the other half. Copper supply lines are stubbed in the vicinity as if the previous owners anticipated this possibility. This would be much more expensive, and I'm not really sure I want the water risk or such an obtrusive thing in what will ultimately become a rec room.

Any other ideas? I can snap a pic if that would help. Thanks.

Re: Ideas for concealing a sanitary cleanout

think about Access and getting a machine in there to clean it, and if stuff does get thrown off the cable what it is to clean up, or if some one takes the cap off and the pipe is full of stuff,

and if you make a cabinet and it is removable make it obvious that it is with some Information on the inside of the cabinet door, or what ever and make it simple to remove,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

After more thinking, I believe I found a solution.

I can build a long entertainment center. The left side will be an enclosed box to conceal the pipe and have a wainscoting exterior, then there would be 2 open shelf units for home theater and amplifier stuff, and then the right side would be enclosed just like the left for symmetry. The top will be solid wood with router detail on the edge and polyurethane coated, and would be removable.

I'll be sure to take pics.

Comment

Many homeowners regret finishing the basemant around the clean out like that. As BHD pointed out if the pipe is full when that clean out is removed it will make a mess. Another blunder is carpet, white carpet at that all around the area that the clean out.

What I recomend is a unfinished storage closet.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Many homeowners regret finishing the basemant around the clean out like that. As BHD pointed out if the pipe is full when that clean out is removed it will make a mess. Another blunder is carpet, white carpet at that all around the area that the clean out.

What I recomend is a unfinished storage closet.
          just what ratz said and if you just want to finish floor use tile or laminate it washes a lot easer mop & bucket not like a rug
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Can you run a cleanout pipe back up the wall inside and curve it out so thathe cleanout is a convenient 30 inches above the ground OUTSIDE?
            Then no need to bring the snake inside and down the stairs and haul the dripping snake back upstairs and out.
            Would be nice to also have an electrical outlet nearby. You can also use a garden hose to clean the snake as it is being retracted.

I did this to my house and it makes rooting so much easier and cleaner.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              Can you run a cleanout pipe back up the wall inside and curve it out so thathe cleanout is a convenient 30 inches above the ground OUTSIDE?
              Then no need to bring the snake inside and down the stairs and haul the dripping snake back upstairs and out.
              Would be nice to also have an electrical outlet nearby. You can also use a garden hose to clean the snake as it is being retracted.

Great idea!.Had a customer with a crawlspace and they had someone tie into the cleanout in the crawlspace and run the cleanout up and out the bandboard ....Sweet
              Attached Files
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post

Not sure if I can pull this off, but it is a good idea.

In the house I grew up in as well as this one we've had for 10 years, we've never needed the drains rooted. Not sure if we're just lucky or what. This particular cleanout services just the master bath (1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 shower). The main sanitary line which will be in the unfinished area handles everything else (all kitchen, laundry, 2 toilets, 2 bath sinks, a shower, utility sink).

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                  Not sure if I can pull this off, but it is a good idea.

In the house I grew up in as well as this one we've had for 10 years, we've never needed the drains rooted. Not sure if we're just lucky or what. This particular cleanout services just the master bath (1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 shower). The main sanitary line which will be in the unfinished area handles everything else (all kitchen, laundry, 2 toilets, 2 bath sinks, a shower, utility sink).
                  when rereading your post you say its a 2" c/o if thats the case that sounds like its for the mb shower and if you have a problem it can be roded from shower but I would leave an acess panell as it is required for the c/o I thought you were talking main c/o for house
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

remember pics help us out all the time as we cant see what you are looking at just a sugestion
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                    X