X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic gas line driven under slab

A company replacing house to street gas lines is pneumatically driving these pit to pit [ street to outside home]
    My customer has a large slab on grade home. He needs gas from meter[ front] to rear of home .about 35 ft.I Proposed running it on flat roof and down in Galvy. Co Super says no problem we'll drive plastic 18 " deep under slab. This is without a chase [pvc] pipe vented both ends. Is this code now ??????
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Plastic gas line driven under slab

Trac-Pipe makes a pre-sleeved CSST gas pipe. Not very flexible but should do the job for you.

Comment

Careful now, you are dangerously close to reviving that pesky galvanized gas piping thread
      sigpic

Comment

is it possible that because the hdpe is a 1 pc section of pipe and as far as we can tell, will last forever, and not having any joints/ fusions, maybe it's legal

i would be much more concerned with them hitting any other lines with the piercing tool.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

UPC tells me I cannot even run under a porch let alone main structure.

Comment

No gas for me under the slab inless its vented at both ends. Underground gas pipe is a potential bomb.

Comment

I'll meet with this contractor next week. They are a large co. replacing many failed old gas copper lines from street to house [outside] outside meter location. The home is one of My best friends and a city Eng. overseeing this project. I will also talk with the Co. inspectors where this friends home is located. Permit will be pulled either way it's done.I'll report back next mid week.PS went to My friends home and He photo copied gas Sleeve Pix from My code book.
              Even if it's legal in our area, I'm out of it, unless it goes above ground!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You all seem a little jittery after last weeks explosion

Comment

oddly enough, we have a sewer repair that the customer rescheduled for the first of the month. The gas company called me this morning to see if we were digging today, because they have an 18" 600psi main running across the property, not near where we'll be digging, but they still want someone onsite when we dig.

600psi natural gas, I Don't want to be onsite
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    oddly enough, we have a sewer repair that the customer rescheduled for the first of the month. The gas company called me this morning to see if we were digging today, because they have an 18" 600psi main running across the property, not near where we'll be digging, but they still want someone onsite when we dig.

600psi natural gas, I Don't want to be onsite
                    I don't blame you. At that psi it wouldn't have to be ignited to cut you in half.

Wouldn't feel safe a mile away

What material are they using for that pressure underground?

Comment

I honestly don't know, I would guess hdpe, but this development is 10+ years old, the line has to be at least that old. I'm rather hoping to not find the line when we do dig, it is supposed to be running through the back yard.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I don't blame you. At that psi it wouldn't have to be ignited to cut you in half.

Wouldn't feel safe a mile away

What material are they using for that pressure underground?
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        A company replacing house to street gas lines is pneumatically driving these pit to pit [ street to outside home]
                        My customer has a large slab on grade home. He needs gas from meter[ front] to rear of home .about 35 ft.I Proposed running it on flat roof and down in Galvy. Co Super says no problem we'll drive plastic 18 " deep under slab. This is without a chase [pvc] pipe vented both ends. Is this code now ??????
                        Well gave him a price of 1" galvy over the roof. Install their, gas log,fire pit ring, and webber bbq disconnect. $2760. I think I'm reasonable. I also do R+R ON SOME FIRE BRICK TO INSTALL GAS VALVE.

Comment

Working...
                        X