X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Replace my Furnace Gas Valve

I have been advised that I need a new gas valve on my furnace. I haven't been able to keep the pilot light going and did replace the thermocouple, however, this did not help. My question is, can/should I replace the gas valve myself. I am handy, however, am not a licensed gas fitter. The unit on there at the moment appears to be a honeywell VR8200A2009. Evidently, the replacement for this (I looked up on the honeywell site) is VR8200A2132. Anyways, I have been quoted $450 plus taxes to replace. However, when I see that I can buy the valve for ~ $70 I am tempted to replace it myself. Should I be considering this - is it difficult to do? Thanks.

Re: Can I Replace my Furnace Gas Valve

Originally posted by jay333 View Post
    I have been advised that I need a new gas valve on my furnace. I haven't been able to keep the pilot light going and did replace the thermocouple, however, this did not help. My question is, can/should I replace the gas valve myself. I am handy, however, am not a licensed gas fitter. The unit on there at the moment appears to be a honeywell VR8200A2009. Evidently, the replacement for this (I looked up on the honeywell site) is VR8200A2132. Anyways, I have been quoted $450 plus taxes to replace. However, when I see that I can buy the valve for ~ $70 I am tempted to replace it myself. Should I be considering this - is it difficult to do? Thanks.
    Not much to replacing a furnace gas valve. The only thing with Honeywell gas valves are the wrench flats are little tricky. I use a 15" adjustable wrench, also a spud wrench will work.
    Check all gas connections for leaks when finished.

I find it easier to remove the manifold and gas valve from the furnace together and clamp the manifold in a bench vise to remove the valve. Be careful not to damage the manifold with the vise jaws.

James
    Last edited by James P; 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Watch out that you do not tighten the black iron pipe too much to the gas valve. Most gas valve housings are made of aluminum and will strip out (or crack) if you crank down on it hard.

Comment

Sorry buddy if you aren't licensed best to leave it to a pro. I don't know why parts are available to homeowners???

Comment

parts are available because people will buy them. breid...............

Comment

so true, but so wrong

Comment

Originally posted by jay333 View Post
              if you are alredy questioning yourself you just answerd your own question and a pro has exp. and tools to do job right and check to make sure theres no leaks ask yourself could you live with your self if something happens natural gas is very expsosive no opps factor thats why were trained, licensed sorry not trying to be meen just be carful homeowners should not mess with gas
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thank you all for your guidance. I guess to be safe I will ask a licensed gas fitter to install the new valve - although I might buy the valve @ $70 myself.

Comment

Working...
                X