Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure-balancing valve = cold water on the hot water circuit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure-balancing valve = cold water on the hot water circuit?

I had my water heater disconnected this weekend, with the water turned off at both the cold supply to the water heater and the main supply. When I turned on the water at the main, the water heater started filling through the hot-out (cold supply still off). After verifying that all the faucets where off, I checked the hot water valve on the two-handled faucets and they all had full pressure on the hot side (with the supply valve still off at the water heater). So somehow my hot and cold circuits are connected.

I asked the plumber who reno'd the place for the previous owner and was told that this was because of a pressure-balancing valve.

Is this normal function for a pressure-balancing valve, or is there something else going on? I've only got one mixer valve in the house (tub/shower - the kind that rotates from off thru cold to hot with no seperate pressure adjustment) - everything else is two-handled faucets.

Re: Pressure-balancing valve = cold water on the hot water circuit?

Pressure balancing valve or thermostatic valve? Not normal to me.

Pics would help.

J.C.

Comment

When you run the hot water , witch pipe gets hot at the water heater ?

Comment

more likely the old heater had the cold water piped into the hot side and no one noticed.

Comment

it is not uncommon for a pressure balance valve to bypass and mix.

the valve works on the principal of both hot and cold going separately into a common cylinder separated by a floating piston. the piston is suppose to float free and equalize to balance the pressure.

as the piston and cylinder wear or dirt gets into the moving parts, the ports can mix. replacement of the balancing spool will solve the problem most of the time. other high end valves use check stops. basically spring loaded check valves incorporated into the shut offs.

then you have the old school moen brass cartridges that are notorious for mixing. the new plastic magnum replacement cartridge fixed that problem.

if you post the brand/ model of the valve, i can give you the part # to replace. post a photo if you're not sure of the make. price phister uses a rotate cold to hot and is very popular out here.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X